GPS Assisted Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwlehman

Premium Subscriber
I read the portion of the user guide that discusses the use of a GPS with the BCD996XT and the BCD396XT. Anyone have a recommendation of a inexpensive GPS that meets these requirements?

"The GPS device must have a serial (RS-232) output, and be capable of outputting standard NMEA-0183 v3.01 compliant location data, and GGA/RMC data sentences at 4800 bps"

Thanks,

N5TWB

Buy the Uniden version -- that way you get all the cables with the proper connectors and pin-out connections. I bought one for my 396XT, easy connection and seamless operations.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Or, do what I did, and buy a used Garmin Nuvi 350 automobile navigator and an Argent Data G-TRANS cable. That way you have a GPS that you can navigate with AND use for GPS Scanning at the same time.

SCPD

QRT
The Best Garmin in my opinion is the nuvi50LM($99.95 at Best Buy)...has life time map updates and I got it for $94.95.The $60.00 is probably the nuvi 40. Also..the best place to buy one is Costco Wholesale as it has "unlimted"return policy meaning you could buy a new one and return the other one anytime. I am NOT saying I would do that as I bought mine at another place. . The nuvi 40 is a 4.3" screen vs. a 5" screen on a nuvi 50 that you can buy for $69.95..the LM-means life time maps and in my area..not many new roads are built so I probably could of been just fine with a nuvi 50. But me....i want it for many years. I got mine for less then dealer cost.
Hope this helps you out. When you step up sir...you get more bells and whistles meaning blue tooth and voice recognition etc.(most people tend to over-buy) Best Buy in my area is very good in that department as they just got a new store manger and they are rocking big time!!

Dewey

I use, and am very much a fan of the GlobeSat BR355 "mouse" GPS Amazon.com: GlobalSat BR-355 BR-355 Serial GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation, a very inexpensive, but worthy product. If you do go with this, make sure you get the model that terminates into the PS2 plug. You will also need the RS-232 adapter (Amazon.com: USGLOBALSAT USG-BR305-RS232 RS232 data & PS2 for power inp: GPS & Navigation) and a power adapter if you're not handy with, or not comfortable doing your own wiring. If you are handy wiring your own RS232 type devices, this is a great deal (less than $40). Just get the BR355, chop the PS2 off, run the two data leads and run the two power leads. I terminated my power leads into a USB plug so I can just use a USB plugged cigarette light in the car, and my external 4-AA battery portable USB power supply for when I want to use it portable, or if external power is not available.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Just a quick reminder, since this thread is starting to get off track. The Garmin automobile GPS supported models currently include:

Garmin Nüvi 350/360/370

StreetPilot C340

StreetPilot 7200/7500

StreetPilot 2820

StreetPilot 2720

Zumo 450

Zumo 550

You need the ArgentData GTRANS Garmin to NMEA Translator Cable (D-Sub Style) for this to work. None of the above Garmin GPS units are in current production. Thus, you may need to look for one of these used on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. To help narrow the choices down a little bit, the Garmin Nuvi 350/360/370 is probably most similar to the current production Garmin GPS units. The StreetPilot C340 is not a thin unit. The StreetPilot 7200/7500 have large 7 inch screens. The StreetPilot 2720/2820 are a little chunky by today's standards. The Zumo 450/550 are actually marketed for motorcycles, but can be used inside passenger vehicles, too.

Dewey

Just a quick reminder, since this thread is starting to get off track.

Where is it starting to get off track? The OP asked for an inexpensive GPS, and no where in the post does he ask for Garmin. So far, it looks like all of the replies have been experiences with GPS.

Dewey

AC0RV

Feed Provider
For mobile operations I am using the Uniden GPs and Portable other non mobile uses I am using the Garmin Extrex Legend with Cable supplied from Uniden with a Null mode adapter, gender changer, and a USB to serial cable to hook up with the scanner.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Will that cable also work for a Nuvi 1300 which I already own?

No, the G-TRANS only works with:

Garmin Nüvi 350/360/370

StreetPilot C340

StreetPilot 7200/7500

StreetPilot 2820

StreetPilot 2720

Zumo 450

Zumo 550

You might want to contact Argent Data, though, there was some talk about having cables for other Garmin GPS units. Basically it has to be a Garmin GPS that will work with FMI (Fleet Management Interface). I will say that I like having one GPS perform double duty and that reduces the number of wires I have to have in the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.