Gps cigarette plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

Two things.
1. I recently saw a video of a user using a gps. He stated he cut the plug off the gps and hard wired. Is this ok?
2. The plug I have is very finicky. I have to wiggle it around to get it to power and some small bumps it cuts off. I opened the housing and everything seems tight. Anyone have had plug problems before and any thing I can look at?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Two things.
1. I recently saw a video of a user using a gps. He stated he cut the plug off the gps and hard wired. Is this ok?

I'd be cautious. There are lots of videos on the web of people doing less than wise stuff. You'd need to know what voltage the GPS runs off of. Some of the cigarette lighter plugs have voltage conversion in them. It's not uncommon for newer electronics to run off of 5 volts. The lighter plugs themselves sometimes have voltage regulators in them that take the 12volts and drop it to 5 volts. Cutting the plug off and wiring it directly -could- damage the GPS unit, could shorten it's life, or it might run just fine.

2. The plug I have is very finicky. I have to wiggle it around to get it to power and some small bumps it cuts off. I opened the housing and everything seems tight. Anyone have had plug problems before and any thing I can look at?

I've had this happen. Not sure if it's the plug or the socket, but it seems like some of them don't cooperate together. Had a GPS in a Ryder truck that would randomly drop out. A real pain in the butt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

lawman210

Let me clarify. Cutting the plug off a gps antenna puck. Not the gps power supply.
This is everything inside the plug
eva7aze7.jpg

lawman210

I'd be cautious. There are lots of videos on the web of people doing less than wise stuff. You'd need to know what voltage the GPS runs off of. Some of the cigarette lighter plugs have voltage conversion in them. It's not uncommon for newer electronics to run off of 5 volts. The lighter plugs themselves sometimes have voltage regulators in them that take the 12volts and drop it to 5 volts. Cutting the plug off and wiring it directly -could- damage the GPS unit, could shorten it's life, or it might run just fine.

I've had this happen. Not sure if it's the plug or the socket, but it seems like some of them don't cooperate together. Had a GPS in a Ryder truck that would randomly drop out. A real pain in the butt.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's for sure the plug. I'm using a RS power supply and I have 8 things I plugged in all work fine including 2 of these pucks. For some reason this one doesn't want to get with the program

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Two things.

Thanks lawman210!

I think you might be referring to my video about the GPS plug. Yes, I did cut off the plug, but failed to mention in the video that I used a 5 volt regulator between the battery and the GPS. I have since updated that video description.

As you can tell I don't use a script when I make my videos. Sometimes I forget about what I have said and what I need to say.

lawman210

I am referring to a YouTube video. Didn't catch the name. I will have to re watch it. If it is you keep up the good work. You have been helping quite a bit of people myself included. The wires looked just a little to small to me to be hooking up to a direct battery. I then remembered that someone had told me awhile back that I needed the plug on either a rad detector or gps unit to run it. I wanted to put a control box in between at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.