BCD396XT/BCD996XT: GPS Co-ordinates Not Downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this ... but I'll post it in hopes of getting an answer or to be directed to a Forum where I can find the answer.

I am using the BCD996XT with the ARC-XT PRO Software.

I am trying to load my Winter route from Montana (Toole Co) to California (Imperial Co)
I'm still working on MT because I am trying to figure out why when I download the Systems and Groups, I do not get the GPS co-ordinates downloaded?
I do get the Range correct ... but the Lat & Long are usually 0
(Man that's a lot of work ... over such a great distance)

Do I need to turn something on?

Any suggestions?
(Beside buy the 436/536 :)

teufler

lat long

using Freescan, lat longs were downloaded. use a 396xt. Youi have GPS buttons to press on the scanner but the lat long is downloaded.

Attachments

• SanDiegoCaliforniamike.zip
    43.2 KB · Views: 60

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
For some reason or another, ARC XT-PRO is not retrieving GPS data for conventional systems. It does download GPS data for trunked system sites.

You can overcome this, but it will take a little work. Open the desired system in the browser and click "Edit GPS Data" in the right pane. A GPS editor window opens. Click the County Tab on the far right. Then go to the drop down box and scroll down until you find the desired county.

Hopefully Gommert will read this and fix this bug.

Until he does, I'd suggest using Freescan for your downloading. That program does retrieve GPS data for conventional systems.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Response
Like you say it's a lot of work ... but it's still quicker than doing it manually.
As for doing it for TNK systems ... NOT.
Doesn't do it for Trunking or Conventional Systems.
Not sure what happens on the 436HP ...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
ARC XT Pro DOES import GPS data for SITES on trunked systems. Please see the attached file, which I just created for Montana's TRS.

I agree that GPS data for GROUPS is not downloaded. But that's kind of academic for this type of scanner. If one wants to "gild the lilly" then the manual way of finding GPS data for groups works.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not sure what happens on the 436HP ...

Trunked sites and non-trunked departments are tagged with GPS coordinates in the Sentinel database, so you really don't have to do much, unless you're manually adding a new system from scratch. Most of the time that is done once by whoever adds the system to the database.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Except the OP can't use Sentinel

I am using the BCD996XT with the ARC-XT PRO Software.

Trunked sites and non-trunked departments are tagged with GPS coordinates in the Sentinel database, so you really don't have to do much, unless you're manually adding a new system from scratch. Most of the time that is done once by whoever adds the system to the database.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the attachment ...
Just to review/clarify one thing ...
On a trunked system you put the GPS co-ordinates on the Sites ...
Now do you also put the GPS co-ordinates on the Groups?

If not ... do the sites turn on and off and scan through the Groups looking for traffic?
If you put co-ord on the Groups ... they both match and open?

It's late and I've been looking at this stuff far too many hours today.

Thanks

ARC XT Pro DOES import GPS data for SITES on trunked systems. Please see the attached file, which I just created for Montana's TRS.

I agree that GPS data for GROUPS is not downloaded. But that's kind of academic for this type of scanner. If one wants to "gild the lilly" then the manual way of finding GPS data for groups works.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, coordinates for sites turn on and off which antenna tower sites are used for scanning. Coordinates for the channel groups controls which channels are monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.