GPS from Scanner Master (BCD396XT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvs1520

UPS dropped off my new SpectumForce GPS antenna from Scanner Master this afternoon, and once again I find myself having to ask the pros. I neglected to consider that I would need a male-male 232 adapter, so will wait to use it on the scanner until I can get one. Reading the back of the packaging I noted that if I wanted to use the antenna on a PC, I could go to the "SpectrumForce.com website and download other software". Note that the site is a Scanner Master site, and you can't navigate anywhere other than to look at some lame links to their products. I connect this antenna (232-USB) to my Dell laptap hoping it would recognize the hardware. After a short delay, and with FreeScan running in the background, my mouse cursor started to bounce all over the place like I was being raped! :) It switched between apps at a fast rate, and freaked me out to the point I just pulled the plug on the GPS. I'm not the most technically saavy dude..... help?

tvs1520

The back of the packaging said
"it could be used for NAVIGATIONAL SOFTWARE, FLEET MANAGEMENT, AND OTHER USES".
For SpectrumForce GPS Antenna software (for use with laptops and devices other than scanners (this is not need for scanner use) to change the GPS receiver baud rate and other parameters, go to our website for further information.

Their website wants to sell me scanner shelves for my desk...... Scanner Master SpectrumForce Home

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
This is all you need to connect the GPS to the 396XT this is a gender changer and Null Modem all in one, it is small and i use it all the time

set the com port of the 396XT to 4800 Baud and it should automatically connect after a few minutes

Null Modem Slim Adapter/ Gender Changer, DB9, Male to Male - SGC-NM9MM, $4.95

DB9 M/M Null Modem Mini Gender Changer ( 31D1-28100 )

10130912291.jpg

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The back of the packaging said
"it could be used for NAVIGATIONAL SOFTWARE, FLEET MANAGEMENT, AND OTHER USES".
For SpectrumForce GPS Antenna software (for use with laptops and devices other than scanners (this is not need for scanner use) to change the GPS receiver baud rate and other parameters, go to our website for further information.

Their website wants to sell me scanner shelves for my desk...... Scanner Master SpectrumForce Home

It could just be an incorrect link. You should contact ScannerMaster direct to see if this is the case. If I didn't already have a Garmin PC18 I might try one of the Spectrum Force models.

tvs1520

Okay WX4JCW.... Please understand you cannot assume the Forrest Gumps of the world will read and understand your perfectly clear directions.... LOL
I read your reply, and promptly went out and found my "best" deal on a gender bender, ordered it, and got it today. Plugged it in and guess what? "NO GPS INPUT" Came back to the computer to see "WTF", and think I missed the critical "null modem" requirement! I assume this is my problem, but will wait for verification before I make my next attempt.... I will then follow the link you originally sent, and try again. Tim

scanchs

@tvs1520... I can't speak for WX4JCW, but I can verify that you need both a gender changer and a null modem for this to work, either together in one adapter, or seperately in two adapters. Obviously, two adapters will make a larger connection, but it will work either way. Good luck...

ScanCHS

Status
Not open for further replies.