GPS inaccuracies found

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I seriously doubt the FAA is putting out bad data. It’s this same data that is input into the databases used by pilots in their on-board GPS systems! And having used it myself, I can tell you it’s quite accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same data we use to initially set up systems in the DB, is the FCC location official data. Which is the exact same data that MUST be submitted to the FAA so that they have full knowledge of where a HUGE antenna tower is at so that aircraft can be advised. And I can tell you from experience,.. That data is shown to be very off as we get tons of submitted corrections for radio systems for the GPS coordinates. We admins have been working for at least 4 years now on getting the right GPS data set up. And when your dealing with thousands of radio systems, it can get interesting to say the least. Not to mention the FAA has been redoing a lot of airports for GPS and even slight numerical changes on runways as things have shifted on the surface of this planet since original building of a few airports.

But anyway, with our DB, we can only list what we get. So if you give us new good data, we can work with it.

INDY72

Last edited by a moderator:

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Please someone sub the info .. And then I will pop in and set up the stuffs. :)

Because there is NO FCC lic for the Bald Knob airport.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fccLicenses&ctid=180&os=0&s=ent&bf=144

NM I did what very few of us admins will do... Did the legwork and researched it myself. I set the range to five miles.

If you scroll up several posts, you’ll see I posted a website with that info for all airfields in Arkansas.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Please someone sub the info .. And then I will pop in and set up the stuffs. :)

Because there is NO FCC lic for the Bald Knob airport.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fccLicenses&ctid=180&os=0&s=ent&bf=144

NM I did what very few of us admins will do... Did the legwork and researched it myself. I set the range to five miles.

Interesting that the FCC is not concerned with a more accurate location. Having obtained a license in the past myself, I would have thought it more important.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Proscan lets you drag and drop circles to edit location data. It's easier than most other methods for correcting location errors. You can copy the text from the object label directly into a submission.

Attachments

• ProScanLocationEditor.jpg
    ProScanLocationEditor.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 65

INDY72

If you scroll up several posts, you’ll see I posted a website with that info for all airfields in Arkansas.

That is NOT submitting info! The correct way is to use the SUBMIT INFO button located along the top bar on every State/County/Agency/TRS DB page. I am one of the very few admins that will stroll through the forums and find anything. That is why there is an actual data submission system. Posting anything in the forums will get you an maybe 10 percent chance of it getting into the DB. Hitting that Submit Info button has an 90 percent chance of getting in the DB. Follow the instructions for proper formatting of the submission that you will be given, and things will get noticed and we will do our best to get things fixed. Posting a website is not submitting the ACTUAL DATA that you wish fixed/corrected... And popping that website in the submit info area will get rejected by most of the admin as it is not info for the specific agency/county/trs etc. Unless I am the one that pops the submission and now having gone though this hoop leaping will start working the data in. But the right way would be to make ONE submission for the entire state, and put each airport name and call, then place the GPS beside it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.