GPS Mod - GPS with USB end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

I'm looking to do the GPS mod, but I'm finding that most of the posts are pretty old and involve the GPS puck with the serial port connector.
On amazon and ebay, the one with the USB A connector is significantly cheaper, so, could the mod be done in the same fashion? I'm guessing the wiring is a little bit different, so does anyone have a diagram or instruction on which wires to branch off, to connect to the "5 pin usb" that Uniden uses for the GPS port?
$36, vs $26

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
We know the BR-355S4 works - it is basically the exact same thing as the one Uniden sells.

The cheaper one is TTL.

Last edited:

ScubaJungle

We know the BR-355S4 works - it is basically the exact same thing as the one Uniden sells.

The cheaper one is TTL.
Well I believe they are both the S4, but what I'm saying is one has a USB connector end and one has a serial port connector. The tutorial for the mod uses the one with the serial port connector, so Im not sure if that would apply for the same one with a USB A connector. I'm not sure if the wires are the same inside the wire.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe this is possible.
USB needs a host controller to speak with, the Unidens do not contain that.
USB is often a proprietary data format and may not output standard NMEA sentences.
USB uses a data format that is not the same as RS232 or TTL serial.

I think there are a few oddballs out there that can be configured for several common output formats but that would be listed as a feature if true. I'd also expect them to be on the higher end of the price scale. You use a computer to configure them before placing them in the field.

I suppose one may be able to hack a 353-S4 open in hopes it uses a standard serial protocol before it converts to USB inside the puck but the chances of that are unknown plus the device is likely potted so you could not get at the components.

I'd pay the extra $10 dollars and get one that you can build adapters for and use with almost everything out there. I do own several 355-S4 models and they do work well.

ScubaJungle

I don't believe this is possible.
USB needs a host controller to speak with, the Unidens do not contain that.
USB is often a proprietary data format and may not output standard NMEA sentences.
USB uses a data format that is not the same as RS232 or TTL serial.

I think there are a few oddballs out there that can be configured for several common output formats but that would be listed as a feature if true. I'd also expect them to be on the higher end of the price scale. You use a computer to configure them before placing them in the field.

I suppose one may be able to hack a 353-S4 open in hopes it uses a standard serial protocol before it converts to USB inside the puck but the chances of that are unknown plus the device is likely potted so you could not get at the components.

I'd pay the extra $10 dollars and get one that you can build adapters for and use with almost everything out there. I do own several 355-S4 models and they do work well.
Thanks, I agree. Not worth the chance to end up having to spend even more buying the right one.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If you really want one and have the extra cash to have it installed, contact the member @jonwienke
Jon does a very good job at installing permanent GPS modules into the 436HP.
They use very little power so they can be powered from the existing batteries with very little impact on the amount of scanning time.

I've never used his services but many here have and they have always given Jon very high remarks about his work. It's a good option if you would use the feature!

Jon has a website listed in his signature line if you search for any message post from him. I think he may also list some of his offerings in the Classified's page here.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you really want one and have the extra cash to have it installed, contact the member @jonwienke
They use very little power so they can be powered from the existing batteries with very little impact on the amount of scanning time.

I've never used his services but many here have and they have always given Jon very high remarks about his work. It's a good option if you would use the feature!

Jon has a website listed in his signature line if you search for any message post from him. I think he may also list some of his offerings in the Classified's page here.
If you're uncomfortable modifying the radio, Jon has also made a rechargeable GPS unit. It's small, very sensitive, runs a long time and recharges quickly. I use it on my 436 and it works great. (I'm assuming he still makes them.) Most of the time, I'm using the SDS100 on the road with the Globalsat antenna. Eventually, I'll get the 100 modified.

ScubaJungle

He has helped me out a few times here so I've looked at that - I may consider it if I'm able to start traveling more again but as of now it's not worth the small battery loss to me for maybe using it once or twice a year.
If you're uncomfortable modifying the radio, Jon has also made a rechargeable GPS unit. It's small, very sensitive, runs a long time and recharges quickly. I use it on my 436 and it works great. (I'm assuming he still makes them.) Most of the time, I'm using the SDS100 on the road with the Globalsat antenna. Eventually, I'll get the 100 modified.
I wasnt aware of that, only the inner mod. To be honest though, I'd like to do it just to give me a little something to do during this whole thing. If I were to be traveling frequently though, I think the inside mod would be worth it, just not right now for me.

kc8iqz

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I will try to not offend anyone. I have a BU-303 GPS receiver. Will this work with my HP-1? Does anyone know where I can get a driver for Win-10? All the places I have searched only seem to list the -353. Thanks
Gary KC8IQZ
Hedgesville, WV

Status
Not open for further replies.