GPS Models that work with 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pars65

I am interested in hearing what models people have connected to the new 996.

STiMULi

Garmin eTrex Legend.
Delorme Tripmate (with a mod).

I havent actually hooked them up yet (the radio is enroute) but I know they will work as I use them for APRS.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
I am using the GARMIN GPS18PC, and if you don't really need the GPS display, and just a reciever - this is the way to go. So far, it works flawlessly. I just got my scanner yesterday, and hooked everything up today in the car, replaced the Pro-2096. I have a honda civic, and i will post some pics of the install within the next day or so.

RoadWarrior

Being into buying this 996T from somewhere in the States with a walk-in store, I've done my homework and my Motorola i730A (this is an iDEN headset, cellular, two-way radio, Internet AND GPS receiver) with its own serial data cable is compatible with this 996T, so I'm lucky I won't need to buy another device to activate the 996T's GPS feature...
Only Nextel in US and Telus in Canada are in charge with the iDEN headsets...
http://idenphones.motorola.com/iden/iden_home.jsp

Chris in Toronto

Last edited:

K4APR

From what I have read so far, any GPS that outputs serial NMEA data at 4800 is a go for the new 996.

Can someone tell me what kind of connector they are using for the GPS connection?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
DB-9 to the back of the 996, or DB-9 to null-modem and uniden cable to the front port.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
******WARNING: WARRANTY VOIDING TIP BELOW**********

Won't void the 996's warranty, but will definitely void your $800 navigation GPS's warranty.

I'm told that 90% of the USB-type GPS's still have the NMEA serial signal available, buried away in the electronics. The standard GPS receiver modules all deliver NMEA output internally to the device's CPU where it is used to display the current location on the map. However the device CPU talks to the outside world through USB. It is highly likely that you can tap into the NMEA by cracking open the case and finding the output of the module.

I would not do this to my own GPS, but some of you are braver (and frankly more qualified to diddle around inside the electronics) than I. I am told that you'd need to put a signal buffer circuit in to keep from accidentally frying the GPS in the event of a short (the buffer would fry, but the GPS would be protected).

Suggestion for new Wiki Page: How to modify USB GPS's for Serial NMEA output. :)

K9GTJ

STiMULi said:
Garmin eTrex Legend.
Delorme Tripmate (with a mod).

I havent actually hooked them up yet (the radio is enroute) but I know they will work as I use them for APRS.

What did you do to the Tripmate? I have one was was going to try it be realized it need power from a keyboard port. I discarded the idea but would like to still try if you have an easy idea.

K4APR

UPMan said:
******WARNING: WARRANTY VOIDING TIP BELOW**********

Won't void the 996's warranty, but will definitely void your $800 navigation GPS's warranty.

I'm told that 90% of the USB-type GPS's still have the NMEA serial signal available, buried away in the electronics. The standard GPS receiver modules all deliver NMEA output internally to the device's CPU where it is used to display the current location on the map. However the device CPU talks to the outside world through USB. It is highly likely that you can tap into the NMEA by cracking open the case and finding the output of the module.

I would not do this to my own GPS, but some of you are braver (and frankly more qualified to diddle around inside the electronics) than I. I am told that you'd need to put a signal buffer circuit in to keep from accidentally frying the GPS in the event of a short (the buffer would fry, but the GPS would be protected).

Suggestion for new Wiki Page: How to modify USB GPS's for Serial NMEA output. :)

This is true for the most part. Basically internally everything is talking at TTL (5VDC) levels. If you go into the GPS and intercept these TTL signals to the USB module (usually an FTDI type controller) there is a chance to run that through a MAX232/ST202 RS232/TTL transceiver to bring the siganl to RS232 levels that would be useful with the 996 as well as other serial GPS applications.

Whew! Mouthful!

K4APR

kokomo1 said:
What did you do to the Tripmate? I have one was was going to try it be realized it need power from a keyboard port. I discarded the idea but would like to still try if you have an easy idea.

I have the Tripmate mod pretty well documented on my website at: http://www.ke4nyv.com/gpsstuff.htm

This was much more usuable back when you could get a Tripmate refurbed from Delorme for about $60. But the info is still valid.

RoadWarrior

STiMULi said:
If you are comfortable with it, please update the WIKI with your verified findings.

The GPS portion of the BCD996T WIKI is Here

I haven't tested it as I don't have the scanner yet, but the Motorola i730's GPS works perfectly (I just downloaded the latest software version) and, from the user's manual: "Using GPS with Map Software
You can use the GPS feature of your handset to
provide approximate location data to a laptop
computer or similar device that is running interactive
map software such as that made by DeLorme or
Microsoft. This way, if your handset has good access
to GPS signals, your approximate position on a map
can be made availableasyou travelin avehicle.
To do this, connect your handset to your laptop (or
other device) with a data cable and set your handset
to transmit data (see “Getting Started” on page 75).
Your handset then provides your approximate
location to the device running the map software,
which displays your location on a map. Your handset
provides an updated location every second and the
map software displays your changing location on its
map.
See “Enhancing GPS Performance” on page 71
for more details on obtaining good location
information.
Note: Because your handset is continuously
determining your location, using the GPS
feature of your handset with map software
uses the handset’s battery power quickly.
Software Compatibility
Your handset sends location information to your
laptop or other device using the standard National
Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) format. Your
handset supports output messages in NMEA- 0183
format and supports the following NMEA- 0183
sentences: GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMC, and VTG.
The map software running on your laptop or other
device must support NMEA 3. 0."

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.