GPS Not working at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
New user to the SDS200. I bought the BC-SGPS. I went into "Set Your Location" > "Set Up GPS" > "Set Serial Port" and I set it to 9600 baud per the instructions. I understand a GPS label should show up on the bottom row. I also changed the display and assigned two of the windows to display the longitude and latitude. The window just displays NO GPS. I have tried enabling locations settings and some of my Favorites and Disabling them but no matter what I do, the GPS does not seem to be working.

Am I missing something?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Does the "GPS" indicator show? If yes, it is set correctly and the GPS is in process of getting a lock. Or, the GPS signals are weak or being blocked (metal roof, etc). Remember, the first time, a GPS will take a while getting a lock.

If the GPS indicator isn't showing, you either have a setting wrong, bad cord or bad GPS.

N1GTL

Database Admin
It's out the window. It's not showing as it even being connected. No indicator.

A friend has the same unit and his works. We'll test it, probably later this afternoon.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I know the instructions say '9600', but best to double check that SDS200 and GPS are on the same page. (Baud rate)
I was looking to see which connector might be used front or back. No real info in manual other than default baud rate. Admitting I don't have the SDS200 only the 100.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I like the new version of the GPS kit combined with the SDS 200. It is a direct connection from the scanner to the GPS dongle using the phone cable. Unfortunately I needed a little more length so I got a longer phone cord at Lowes.

After setting the Baud Rate to 9600, per the manual as noted above, I drove my vehicle outside so that the GPS dongle had a clear view of the sky. Giving it many minutes to lock on the needed satellites, it appeared to function just fine. I was able to pull up the screen on my scanner which gave the lat/long. I drove around a big, empty parking lot and watched the lat/long values change, which was my confirmation it was working.

One time I kind of panicked about a GPS device, which I have been using since scanners accepted GPS input. It wasn't showing anything. Then it dawned on me I was sitting in my garage and had a block view of the sky. Once I got outside, it worked. Another error once was due to a connector no being seated.

Hope this helps!

RBMTS

I know the instructions say '9600', but best to double check that SDS200 and GPS are on the same page. (Baud rate)
I was looking to see which connector might be used front or back. No real info in manual other than default baud rate. Admitting I don't have the SDS200 only the 100.

+ 1 to @KE5MC 's comment about the baud rate. Make sure the SDS200 is set for 9600 baud. The SDS100 is 4800. If it still doesn't work, try a different RJ14 connection cable. I always use the short 5" cord and velcro the dongle onto the top of the scanner.

Reconrider

You changed the cord. I bet that cord doesn't send data, or doesn't send it quick enough. Use the old cable and see if it works still, then go on amazon and look for a hi data transfer rate for the cord

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you aren't using the OEM wire, make sure that it's a four conductor wire. Also, make sure that you are using the port on the back marked "GPS."
Also, are you using the nationwide database or Location Control on specific systems?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I have 2 SDS 200's one uses GPS at 9600 Baud the other 4800 Baud. Keeps me on my toes when programming both with Sentinel if GPS stops working I change the Baud rate. Before anyone asks it is because one uses the Uniden GPS and the other a HomeBrew GPS from a RR user.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The old puck with the round connector is 4800. The new one is 9600, regardless of what radio you connect it to.

N1GTL

Database Admin
The problem was resolved. Biological Interface Error!

I never saw the GPS puck in the box and I was using the interface box. It works as it should.

Commence flaming....

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The problem was resolved. Biological Interface Error!

I never saw the GPS puck in the box and I was using the interface box. It works as it should.

Commence flaming....
There's not a person here who hasn't made that mistake at least once. Welcome to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.