SDS100/SDS200: GPS not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Hello All

I have an external gps unit from Jon here on RR. I haven't had luck getting it to work with my SDS100. I turn it on, green light solid, red light flashes every second. Changed the setting on "Setup GPS" to 9600 bps, range 0.0. Plug it into the scanner and the GPS on the bottom on the screen comes on.

But it will not turn on/off systems as I drive. I have 2 favorites I've been testing with it, about 30 miles apart. As I leave one area and enter another nothing happens. I do have "Location Control" turned on for both of them.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I have been through the menu several times but maybe I missed something.

JamesO

Try changing the GPS data rate in the scanner settings to 9600 baud.

You also need to turn on Location Control as well as to use the Full Nationwide DatabaseI recall.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Quick test: Switch to the main database and manually enter zip 90210. You'll see it load Beverly Hills stuff. Then, connect the GPS. As soon as it gets a satellite fix, the scanner will switch to scanning local stuff.

If that works, then you probably don't have Location Control turned on for your Favorites Lists.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Ok, did the 90210 step as UPMan asked. It did switch to local stuff. But I've double and tripled checked that location control was on in my favorites. Maybe it's because I'm using squares in the settings and not circles?

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I have for Bernalillo County SO.

Top Left: 35.219457 -107.197245
Bottom Right: 34.869277 -106.149700

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, that pretty much encompasses Albuquerque (including where I used to live off of Route 66 at 337...what the airline pilots called "Tiger A$$ Canyon").

My suspicion was that you'd not used negative numbers for the longitude, but seems you did. Not sure what is going on...maybe zip and post the HPE of your Favorites List for a deeper dive.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, Location Control setting doesn't come over in HPE, so I can't double-check that. Also, FLQK status doesn't come across...make sure the FLQK's are enabled for those Favorites Lists (location control affects AVOID status, not FLQK status, so if the FLQK is disabled, the list won't be scanned no matter what).

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the help. At least I now know the unit is working as it should. I'll have to play with the settings. I kinda miss the days of the simple scanners.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Is the proper baud rate 4800 or 9600? The GPS manual states it should be set at 4800. I have used it twice with this setting and it works fine. I used it on my 436HP. I now just got the GPS cable for the SDS100 and plan to try it out this weekend. Is the baud rate the same for both scanners, and should it be 4800 or 9600, or doesn't it matter?

bitstream

Is the proper baud rate 4800 or 9600? The GPS manual states it should be set at 4800. I have used it twice with this setting and it works fine. I used it on my 436HP. I now just got the GPS cable for the SDS100 and plan to try it out this weekend. Is the baud rate the same for both scanners, and should it be 4800 or 9600, or doesn't it matter?

4800 for the Uniden (and other) pucks and 9600 for the external GPS from Jon.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Ok, got it plugged in to try. I have the GPS wording lit up on the display, my Uniden GPS is blinking on and off red to indicate it has a satellite fix, and the light on the scanner is lit up solid red indicating the scanner is getting power.

When I go into the menu and tell the thing to auto locate, it goes through the notion of trying to get a location fix and comes back that it can’t find a location and to try another method. I have the national database enabled for scanning and all of my favorites list off as I don’t want them to scan since I’m gonna use this thing only when I’m on the road. I have the range setting set to zero. If I enter in my zip code manually, it loads my location state first then the rest of the national database. I tried the 90210 thing and it loads Beverly Hills, but will not switch over and pick up my location and switch back to it. What gives? Am I missing something or is something not right? I have used the GPS before with my 436 and it works fine so it can’t be the GPS. my range settings, having my favorites all off and only the national database enabled with range set to zero are also all of the same settings I used it with the 436.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You do not use AUTO LOCATE with the gps. That is for non-gps use and it uses trunking data to figure out where it is. If you are using Jon's GPS set the baud rate in the scanner to 9600 turn off everything except full data base now you should hear local traffic as a test. Change the range to 30 miles and see what happens.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
I’m not using Jon’s I’m using Unidens. That aside, if I put in my local zip code I get what’s local, so it sounds like I’m good to go then. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow as I travel and see what happens. Other than the auto locate not working, now I understand why, I’d say it’s working right. I have the baud properly set for a Uniden gps at 4800 baud.

Is there any basis for putting in GPS coordinates in manually if using Unidens GPS, or is this the manual version of auto locate?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you are using any GPS you do not enter anything.
No Zipcode
No Auto Locate
Just plug up the GPS unit only. The GPS sets your location for you.
Uniden GPS 4800 baud
Jon's GPS 9600 baud
I go out plug up my scanner and my GPS and drive over 100 miles to Memphis and the GPS does all the work for me.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good. It worked on the 436 so it should work on the sds. I’m gonna be in the area of simulcast tomorrow so I’m curious to see how it handles. I was in northwest Indiana over the 4th with my 436 and it did well, the same area I’m going to tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.