SDS100/SDS200: GPS observation (SDS100/200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Being cooped up like many of us are nowadays, I have an SDS100 and an SDS200 sitting here on my desk for months now.
Both are hooked up to stock Uniden GPS setup(s).
Not the rats nest of a kludge Uniden sells nowadays.
The 200 is standard phone cord going to a Uniden square puck.
The 100 is a USB 'Y' cable, one to the puck (BR-355S4), the other to a mini USB plugged into the 100.
Both pucks sitting on the windowsill next to each other in a south facing window.

The observation:
I have lat/long programmed on both detailed conventional/trunked screens, so I can see when they have a GPS lock.
The 200's GPS puck is quite a bit less sensitive.
The 100 almost always has a lock
The 200 frequently shows no GPS where the lat/long displays (when locked).
Pretty much daily, during certain times of the day, (evening) the 200 won't have a lock, the 100 always does.

Jon, if you are reading this, solution a better puck, I suppose...(?)

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Both my SDS 200s never lose GPS lock. One is standard Uniden puck the other is homebrew GPS puck.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Both my SDS 200s never lose GPS lock. One is standard Uniden puck the other is homebrew GPS puck.

BTW, I should have stated...
I ended up with 2 Uniden GPS pucks (another story)... so I have a control.
Both exhibit this same, lack of sensitivity issue.

Granted, they are in a less than ideal RF position. But, it also shows, that in a low signal environment, the BR-355S4 is superior.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I Have used the Garmin GPS Puck on the 536/HP2/996 and the Uniden Puck on the 200 in the car. In my experience, the Garmin puck locks on much faster. Once locked on, the performance is similar but the puck in the same spot in my vehicle the Garmin was always faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.