GPS Puck Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,

For some time, I have had my 536HP wired to the Uniden GPS Puck for location as I drive places However, having my cigarette lighter constantly being used was starting to get cumbersome, so I went to hardwire the GPS Unit into the power unit.

Currently, power is comming from the same wire used to power the scanner itself (12V) and goes into a 12 to 5V step-down converter, the GPS puck connected to the 5V output.

As of right now, the LED light on the GPS is flashing, which should mean it is getting signals. However, there is no indication that the GPS is being detected by the scanner. (Location Control is on for FL)

Now, I have (out of my shear brilliance :roll:) managed to accidentally swap polarity when I was doing the hardwiring. I realized quickly that I did so and fixed the issue, but now I have to wonder if even though the LED is stating that it's working, It may have ultimately fried. If anyone thinks this as well, or thinks it can be saved, (or point me to a thread that has an answer :wink:) It would help Thanks.

P.S. Also, It doesn't work on my old 996xt, says No GPS Input, so I know that it's not my 536HP.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure the step down converter is functioning sufficiently? Might be supplying enough "stuff" to get the LED to illuminate, but not enough for GPS reception.

If you still got the original end laying around, you might try re-connecting it to see what happens.

FWIW, I trashed a GPS device by cutting off the plug and sending 12 Volts to the GPS. With the replacement on, I used a cigarette lighter extension cable and cut off the male end and connected the wires appropriately. The female end/GPS connection were taped securely to prevent disconnection.

And you could be real lucky with the baud rate for the port getting changed from 4800 inadvertently. But with the 996XT also not working, that's unlikely, but worth checking.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Now, I have (out of my shear brilliance :roll:) managed to accidentally swap polarity when I was doing the hardwiring. I realized quickly that I did so and fixed the issue, but now I have to wonder if even though the LED is stating that it's working, It may have ultimately fried..

You fried the puck. The LED may survive reversed polarity, but the chips won't. Time to get a new puck.

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure the step down converter is functioning sufficiently? Might be supplying enough "stuff" to get the LED to illuminate, but not enough for GPS reception.

It definitely gets 5 volts, checked by my voltmeter. I'm going to say that it fried, and its time to get a new one. I figured that this happened.

Thanks for the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.