GPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmetts

Thanks for the quick help on my previous question...One final that I can't seem to find an answer for.

When using the GPS receiver, does it automatically update location as I move, or will I have to manually update it every 75-100 miles to continue hearing nearby signals?

Thanks again
Ron

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks for the quick help on my previous question...One final that I can't seem to find an answer for.

When using the GPS receiver, does it automatically update location as I move, or will I have to manually update it every 75-100 miles to continue hearing nearby signals?

Thanks again
Ron

It updates continuously while you drive and switches things on and off as you enter and leave the range. Range being the range set in the scanner and the location and range set in the programing for the towers. Note: Location control must be turned on.

marksmith

I don't remember seeing a "location control" on/off... what menu is it under?
It is a setting for favorites lists, not a general radio setting. When you create a favorites list, you tell it on or off for location control.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

rmetts

ok...now I'm confused. Do I have to add the entire database to a favorites list, (I'm looking at it in Sentinel now.) I created a list in the program, gave it a name, and chose location control on. I haven't added anything to it, because I'm not sure what or how... I'm sorry I'm being such a pain, but I'm confused...(will also begin reading the manual.)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Typically the "entire database" is turned on in the beginning. When the zip code is set, there is a question if you want the full database to be on. It is also something that can be turned on via Sentinel when editing a profile (check hte Monitor Full Database box in Scan Selection tab.

As folks become more advanced in their scanning, they might create one or more Favorites Lists. These Favorites Lists would contain systems, frequencies, etc. that are of interest to them.

A Favorites List will have an option for Location Control. When Location Control is On, the systems, frequencies, etc. in the Favorites Lists are "activated" when the scanner is in the appropriate area. (As noted above, a GPS device tells the scanner where it is so this Location Control feature will function.)

However, a Favorite List can be active regardless of the scanner's location. This would be Location Control Off.

It is your choice.

Generally if the "things" you want to monitored are in a Favorites List, turning off the full database is a better practice. Otherwise you are monitoring those things twice - once via FL and again through the full database.

My practice is this: When I'm in my home area, everything I'm interested in has been programmed into multiple Favorites Lists. Also if I'm traveling, I have a Favorites List for my destination. I'll leave the full database off and just monitor Favorites Lists.

When I'm between home and my destination, I'll turn on the full database and let my GPS and scanner work together to turn on/off things for the area I'm passing through.

You are not a pain - these are good questions for a new user.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
GPS makes it so nice when mobile and the 536HP is much more seamless in transition than the 996 series. The 996 series you would notice and see when systems turned on and off. I would say, however that with GPS and scanner range set to Zero, that some of the tower ranges need to be reduced at least on the SAFE T system here in INDIANA. But, that's just my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.