GPS Receiver for 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfgroup

Premium Subscriber
I would like to take advantage of the GPS functions of the 996T. Can anyone suggest a GPS receiver that I could mount inside a windshield/on a dashboard so that I can take advantage of this feature? I know it has to be a serial plug on the cable. Thank you.

bob1857

That unit is all you need to take advantage of the GPS features in the 996 ?

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
What he said ;^) Works great. And I never unplug mine, it draws so little current. If you want, you can connect the puck to your PC and jack up the baudrate, but not necessary.

...R

N5FDL

Mounting and power

Uplink said:
I use the Garmin GPS18 PC OEM, $83 bucks at Amazon.com, it's PLUG-AND-PLAY with the Uniden 996T. See this post & thread....

;)

I've just ordered one of these. How long is the serial cable and is here any issue with cutting off the cigarette lighter plug and replacing it with a direct or PowerPole connection? I am thinking about placing this in the rear of my Pontiac Vibe (with the ham gear and power strip) and run the serial cable up to the front and into the dash to reach the radio.

Thanks!

David

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This would be a very good topic for another Wiki article, folks. Both the 996 and 15 have been out there for a while now, so a good list of compatible GPS units would be very helpful

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ah, good catch Paul. I had totally forgotten that list was there. Mea Culpa

73s Mike

kellykeeton

you can also use any GPS that will dump NMEA-0183 ver.3.01 compliant, including GGA and RMC sentences

which is most of them from 1998 up as far as i know. I use some very old unit i found on the road one day.

ebay is full of old gps units that output to COM which will likely do the job for 10-80 bucks

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Don't cut the adapter

N5FDL said:
I've just ordered one of these. How long is the serial cable and is here any issue with cutting off the cigarette lighter plug and replacing it with a direct or PowerPole connection? I am thinking about placing this in the rear of my Pontiac Vibe (with the ham gear and power strip) and run the serial cable up to the front and into the dash to reach the radio.

Thanks!

David

It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly the power supply circuit is in the cigarette lighter adapter. This means that the adapter converts 12v down to 5v for the GPS puck. If you cut the adaptor off and splice the puck directly to 12v, you'll fry it.

N5FDL

Thanks for the warning!

Universaldecoder said:
It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly the power supply circuit is in the cigarette lighter adapter. This means that the adapter converts 12v down to 5v for the GPS puck. If you cut the adaptor off and splice the puck directly to 12v, you'll fry it.

Gee, and I was about to have my car stereo installer do that! :roll: Thanks...I will find a way to take the power plug to power and route the serial cable into the dash.

David

N5FDL

Works as promised!

Ordered the Garmin GPS 18 PC from Amazon for $89.99 (free shipping, no tax) for my 996T, which is installed in the dash of my Pontiac Vibe, below a Pioneer AM/FM/CD/XM/iPOD receiver.

Having been warned, we connected a cigarette lighter power jack into the radio wiring and plugged the GPS 18 directly into the jack--as the adapter plug apparently steps power down to 5v for the GPS. Connected the serial connector directly to the back of the 996T. Added a extension cord at the same time so I can connect to the record out jack if I need to.

The GPS 18 worked perfectly the moment the radio was turned on. No special set-up required. As the unit only draws 50 milliamps we connected it to always-on power, so the GPS is running before the radio is turned on.

Now, I just need a scanning strategy for using the GPS!

Thanks for the reference and help.

David

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Automatically turns on and off systems (or sites for Motorola and EDACS) as you change location. As I drive from SW Arlington across East Arlington, cutting across South then North Grand Prairie, into North Arlington then into East Fort Worth, my scanner automatically enables the system containing the patrol district I am in and disables them as I leave the district. I never have to push a button...just turn it on and drive.

N5FDL

I am now running a mix of systems that are GPS-controlled (that I want to listen to when I am close to them) and those that I want to monitor regardless of location.

For example:

I am working in an adjoining county to where I live. I always want to listen to the fire dispatch for the area of this county nearest my home. But, when I drive into the county I want to listen to additional dispatch channels--some of which cannot be heard from my home.

So, the channel I always want is in a local, non-GPS default system, and the system for the county in question is controlled by the GPS to turn on and off as I get enter and depart the area.

Trying to manage this uncovers some shortcomings in the software used to program the radio as you end up with lots of systems that have many of the same channels/frequencies in them but are used in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.