GPS Scanners in a car with factory NAV (share antenna??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOST_VEGAS

Hey All,

I'm considering a BCT-15 and was wondering if anybody has experimented with ways to use a factory car Navigation GPS antenna for the scanner? I own a '06 Dodge Charger with a built-in navigation system and i'd like to find a way to split or tie into the signal of the existing gps antenna that came with the car. In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to use both systems simultaniously. Any ideas? I need an electrical guru!

Dubbin

Feed Provider
LOST_VEGAS said:
Hey All,

I'm considering a BCT-15 and was wondering if anybody has experimented with ways to use a factory car Navigation GPS antenna for the scanner? I own a '06 Dodge Charger with a built-in navigation system and i'd like to find a way to split or tie into the signal of the existing gps antenna that came with the car. In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to use both systems simultaniously. Any ideas? I need an electrical guru!

The scanner does not have a GPS built into it. You hook a GPS up to it.

LOST_VEGAS

Dubbin said:
The scanner does not have a GPS built into it. You hook a GPS up to it.

I understood that... What i'm trying to do is use the DODGE Vehicle Navigation GPS Antenna for both the Vehicle Navigation System (for what it's intended) AND for a Scanner.

Thanks

Dubbin

Feed Provider
LOST_VEGAS said:
I understood that... What i'm trying to do is use the DODGE Vehicle Navigation GPS Antenna for both the Vehicle Navigation System (for what it's intended) AND for a Scanner.

Thanks

So what you are really trying to do is hook the scanner up to the GPS unit in the car? You don't hook them up by the antenna.

TedTed

why go through all that trouble and lose your warranty?
You can buy a Garmin gps receiver for 80 bucks

doctordave

To answer your actual question, you would likely find the performance of that antenna w/ your scanner to be quite poor across all bands.

MarkEagleUSA

doctordave said:
you would likely find the performance of that antenna w/ your scanner to be quite poor across all bands.
He's not asking about an antenna for reception of signals... he's asking about using the car's GPS system with the 996 instead of a stand-alone unit.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
It won't work unless you can find out if it has a serial communications bus om it that corresponds to nmea serial communications. If not you need to get a regular GPS that has a NMEA serial port. All factory installed units need to be hacked to get them to work on other things. Unless your at ease with working with surface mount technolgy, don't even think about it.

R Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.