GPS Vehicle Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

Greetings from Utah
Locally there is a lot of use of "Trackers". When law enforcement wants to tail a suspect, thy usually place a hidden tracking device under the suspect's vehicle. It doesn't matter how many turns and loops the suspect makes tryin to shake the tail.
Question is, does anyone know what frequencies these transmit?

N7YUO
Salt Lake City, UT

fineshot1

For law enforcement these tracking devices can wind up on many
freqs and most are NOT gps technology based units. They are simple
radio direction finding type units that emit a carrier and some kind of
beep tone. The LEO vehicles have the tracking unit and antennas
(not talking lojack but similar) mounted in them.

They can be on just about any vhf-hi or uhf freq. Difficult to predict.

I am not saying there are no gps technology based tracking units out
there but they are not commonly used due to the difficulty in miniaturizing
this technology to the point it is small enough to not be noticeable to the
person being tracked and the fact that the tracking unit needs to be mounted
in such a place to see the sky to catch all the gps satellite signals.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There is another, more common way to do it with a GPS cell phone and an on line computer having the appropriate software. Unless the battery is removed, even when off the phones are polled by the network and report their status including position (when GPS equipped) which is a handy way for law enforcement and licensed private investigators to determine where the phone is. You'd be surprised at how many bad guys have been found with rats in their pockets and in a few cases with them duct taped behind the bumper.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
The FBI in Washington DC use what sounds to be what the OP was asking about. They'll call the "Control Room" over the radio and can get the exact location where the suspect's vehicle is. I've heard them late at night trying to install it on the suspect vehicle; from what I've heard it only takes a few mins to install. As KB2VXA mentioned, there are others like below. We have the LiveWire X5 for the kids car. Works great and real-time. So when she's driving we can watch exactly where she is currently, if she doesn't stop at an intersection, if she's speeding (you'll need to know the speed limit on the road where they are) and where she turns off the car. If the unit is disconnected, it will tell you as well. I installed it behind the stereo and the GPS antenna under the top of the dash. It wasn't hard to install but it was more involved then just walked up and sticking it on, so it may not be what the OP was hearing about. But I'm sure the FBI and other police have some cool stuff when needed.

Lightning GPS Tracking

mancow

Database Admin
Cellular 1xRTT or 3G or whatever is used by the network it's registered on. It's the same as trying to monitor a modern cell phone and is relatively impossible from a hobbyist standpoint, all legal issues aside of course.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Mike, wouldn't it be a lot simpler keeping her on a leash? (;->)

She chewed through it. You know, she's actually OK with it. I think she feels if she does slip up we'll say something which makes her more conscience of things. She's even told us that she knows if she ever gets lost, she can call us and we'll be able to tell her how to get to where she's going.

mancow

Database Admin
Actually, things have progresses much farther than many might expect. It's pretty amazing.

For law enforcement these tracking devices can wind up on many
freqs and most are NOT gps technology based units. They are simple
radio direction finding type units that emit a carrier and some kind of
beep tone. The LEO vehicles have the tracking unit and antennas
(not talking lojack but similar) mounted in them.

They can be on just about any vhf-hi or uhf freq. Difficult to predict.

I am not saying there are no gps technology based tracking units out
there but they are not commonly used due to the difficulty in miniaturizing
this technology to the point it is small enough to not be noticeable to the
person being tracked and the fact that the tracking unit needs to be mounted
in such a place to see the sky to catch all the gps satellite signals.

RolnCode3

My agency uses one of these technologies. I will say that I know of two ways these devices work. One is older and simpler, the other newer and more advanced. One is simply a transmitter and the other uses multiple technologies and may not be detectable by a conventional radio scanner.

I will not publish the frequency I know associated with some of this stuff.

N7YUO

Ok, around here, the Joint Criminal Aprehension Team (JCAT) puts the "tracker" on a suspect's vehicle.
They have to do it quickly, so it must be magnetic. They may also put them on vehicles belonging to girlfriends or associates of the fugitive. From what I hear, a vehicle, not the control room is getting the map of the suspect's location on a cell phone or other portable device. They don't want a persuit, so all the team units remain at a distance until the suspect parks the vehicle, then they "pin him"
For the latest technology in GPS Tracking, look here:
 Law Enforcement Technology, GPS Tracker, GPS Vehicle Tracking, Latitude Cell Phone Tracking, Cheating Spouse GPS Tracking, Drug Enforcement Equipment
Law Enforcement GPS Tracker * Covert GPS Vehicle Tracking systems.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
All this stuff is great until the savvy guy (like myself) knows how to build a GPS jammer. :twisted:

Technology to counter technology???? Say it ain't so! :lol:

gps jammer - Google Search

Oh ya! Always keep your vehicle in the garage and never leave you trash bags on the curb... :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

RolnCode3

mario_verasso

Gps

They make them for peel and stick the batt. last about 2 weeks and gives a current location of the vehicle on a web site. Or you can get the one for half of the price that you stick on a car. the remove it and download all the locations the vehicle has been.They can go up into the $1,000's depending on what you want to do with it. You can research them by typing Security or Vehicle tracking or even cellphone tracking devices in the search bar. You will be surprised at what is out there.

The cheapest i have found was 150.00 & up Plus the monthly service. Had an ex-wife i needed to keep tabs on.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
GSP jammer? Simply stated cars are GSP jammers. Eh, being in Zed Land you don't know what everyone in New Jersey does, the Garden State Parkway has been our longest and narrowest parking lot since 1950. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.