BCD325P2/BCD996P2: GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Have you reached out to Uniden via the telephone or the place that you purchased the GPS receiver from?

Also, welcome to Radio Reference! I just noticed that this was your first post even though you subscribed last November.

peewee008

When I attempt to put in location, my longitude has a minus value -83.37.67.71W I can't find a way to enter a minus and when I leave it out I get a "out of Range" message ??

steener

Premium Subscriber
When I attempt to put in location, my longitude has a minus value -83.37.67.71W I can't find a way to enter a minus and when I leave it out I get a "out of Range" message ??
It should not be necessary to enter your location, only the locations for each system or site. However, if you do need to set a location, use the function knob to scroll all the way to the right. Then press the dot "." to switch between either N/S or E/W for the longitude or latitude. The minus is not entered. West (W) is minus longitude and South (S) is minus latitude.

Once you have the GPS physically connected to the scanner, you will need to enter the Settings Menu.

Then scroll down to Set GPS Format and select "Set Pos Format". It should be set to DMS.

Once you have selected format, press Menu a couple of times and select the "Set GPS Baudrate" menu item. For the Uniden GPS, it should be set to 9600 bps.

Don't forget to enable GPS for each system or site that you wish to track via GPS.

Hope this helps.

peewee008

It should not be necessary to enter your location, only the locations for each system or site. However, if you do need to set a location, use the function knob to scroll all the way to the right. Then press the dot "." to switch between either N/S or E/W for the longitude or latitude. The minus is not entered. West (W) is minus longitude and South (S) is minus latitude.

Once you have the GPS physically connected to the scanner, you will need to enter the Settings Menu.

Then scroll down to Set GPS Format and select "Set Pos Format". It should be set to DMS.

Once you have selected format, press Menu a couple of times and select the "Set GPS Baudrate" menu item. For the Uniden GPS, it should be set to 9600 bps.

Don't forget to enable GPS for each system or site that you wish to track via GPS.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. I made those steps. Im at a POI setting. Should that be off ? Still getting no GPS input message. Maybe my location. I'm in a lower level. I can get signals on smart phone so I thought this not to be a problem. Appreciate your time and effort.

steener

Premium Subscriber
The POI setting is only used if you want the radio to notify you when you are approaching or at a custom point of interest. It should have no bearing on the systems or sites.
If the baudrate is set and the GPS unit is functioning, you should see "GPS" in the upper right hand of the display whether your are scanning or not. If it is not displayed, then it could be your location. You might move the GPS module next to a window to improve reception from the satellite. Unfortunately, the Uniden GPS has no indicator to confirm a signal lock other than on the radio.

peewee008

The POI setting is only used if you want the radio to notify you when you are approaching or at a custom point of interest. It should have no bearing on the systems or sites.
If the baudrate is set and the GPS unit is functioning, you should see "GPS" in the upper right hand of the display whether your are scanning or not. If it is not displayed, then it could be your location. You might move the GPS module next to a window to improve reception from the satellite. Unfortunately, the Uniden GPS has no indicator to confirm a signal lock other than on the radio.

View attachment 86949
I will do the relocate Later or tomorrow. If it works, then the question is how long can the RJ14 lead be if I extend it from one level to another?
Thanks again for working with me.

steener

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome. Hopefully, relocating to a more suitable area will solve the issue. As for extending the cable; I can't help with that one.

peewee008

You're welcome. Hopefully, relocating to a more suitable area will solve the issue. As for extending the cable; I can't help with that one.
relocated to area near window . Toggled baud rate (confliction Settings by Uniden and the GPS receiver..went with 9600) Still no action. Running out of ideas

steener

Premium Subscriber
You've reach the extent of my expertise with the GPS. Hopefully, someone else might have some other ideas.

Regards,
Paul

peewee008

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that. After following instructions, I get "out of Range" reading. Setting 42.46.15 N and 83.37.67.10 W In Michigan

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if you might be using an incorrect position format with a few too many periods.

Set Pos Format
The option sets the position format for latitude and longitude.
DMS: DD⁰MM’SS.ss
DEG: DD.dddddd

Status
Not open for further replies.