GQRX and Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
When I wanted to use one of my SDRs with this laptop, I used to have to swap the HDs and use windows. Now I have gqrx running under Linux Mint 20. No more swapping HDs.

GQRX-Screen.png

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Wow that's great to know! I was an avid user of Linux Mint for years. I got away from it after two surgeries but I still have it running on my wife's laptop. I switched her over to Linux Mint back when Windows 10 came out. She stayed with it ever since and loves it! She has never had any problems with it and I don't even have to help her with anything. It just works, as you know! Thanks for posting this. I might have to setup a another computer and fire up Linux again. Linux Mint was always my favorite.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Let me know if you decide to move forward. I'll point you to what I used to get gqrx up and running.

--
Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Let me know if you decide to move forward. I'll point you to what I used to get gqrx up and running.
--
Mike

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that! I'm not sure when that will be. I have a couple new radios on the way (IC-R30 & R8600) and I'll probably spending a lot of time with them, until I get bored again. :cool:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I *thought* about the R8600 but 99 44/100% of my listening is under 20MHz, so I spent 1/3 the amount and picked up a very nice NRD-535D. Later added the R75 that I foolishly sold.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I *thought* about the R8600 but 99 44/100% of my listening is under 20MHz, so I spent 1/3 the amount and picked up a very nice NRD-535D. Later added the R75 that I foolishly sold.

NRD 535D sweet! :love: I had one of those a little over 20 years ago, it was way ahead of it's time! You're lucky to have found one. It was just as nice to look at as it was to listen to!

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Here is what worked for me. Start here: https://www.g8jvm.com/Projects/Projects.html

I followed the above and then installed via synaptic all the libairspy* packages (4). After a reboot, I created my menu item & icon. That's all it took.

When I tried to install gqrxvia the software manager, it would not find the Airspy HF+.

KE0VUL

Feed Provider
Just for stability any distro probably works okay. I've became fond of using Debian/Gnome, although the Debian variants are somewhat easy to manage now anyway. Occasionally the guides get slightly dated with major changes (Just have to experiment).

Still have yet to get into HF in general with just a tech license. What are you using for an antenna on the Airspy HF side?

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I'm using either a Pixel RF Pro-1B or a Wellbrook ALA1530LNP NA. Currently the Pixel is mounted on the rotor.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.