• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GR1225 Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSGSD

If the FCC License says you're authorized to transmit at 35 watts, what should a GR1225 repeater be set at for UHF? I've been told that programming it at 22-25 watts while using a Motorola "station master" approximately 12db gain base antenna is the equivalent of having the repeater programmed at 35 watts. Also told that if the repeater was programmed for 35+ watts, the amplifier would need frequent replacement. Looking for some clarification.

Astro25

It could probably handle intermittent duty at around 45 watts, but if it's going to be a ham machine, or a repeater with constant use, backing it down to 25-30 watts wouldn't hurt it.

And yes, the 12db antenna will effect your ERP. Does your license mention anything about ERP or just transmitter power in general?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You really need to pay attention to both the transmitter power out AND the EPR authorizations on the license. What does the license say? A 12 db gain antenna? Well, assume 25 watts out, and 2 db feedline loss, you'd have a 250 watt ERP. 25 watts applied directly to the 12 db gain antenna without feedline loss would be about 400 watts ERP, not 35. That repeater is rated at 25 watts continuous duty, and 45-50 watts out for a 50% duty cycle. With that much antenna gain, it can be real easy to run afoul of ERP limitations on a license.

WSGSD

I'd say the use the repeater gets is as much as a suburban/rural(ish) type of police department or maybe even a school bus company. Has its peak moments, but it's not constant radio traffic like a busy Friday night in a descent size city.

I just looked up the license via FCC online database and there is no Maximum ERP listed.
Output power listed is 30. The antenna was just hooked up to a watt meter and it registered at 40 watts, whatever that may mean in terms to what we're discussing. With the GR1225 repeater the meter registered roughly 22-25 watts when it was activated.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
WSGSD said:
I'd say the use the repeater gets is as much as a suburban/rural(ish) type of police department or maybe even a school bus company. Has its peak moments, but it's not constant radio traffic like a busy Friday night in a descent size city.

I just looked up the license via FCC online database and there is no Maximum ERP listed.
Output power listed is 30. The antenna was just hooked up to a watt meter and it registered at 40 watts, whatever that may mean in terms to what we're discussing. With the GR1225 repeater the meter registered roughly 22-25 watts when it was activated.

Sometimes the ERP is listed on the coordination paperwork filed at the time of the license application, but it doesn't end up on the actual license.

Your next paragraph about the antenna registering at 40 watts makes no sense whatsoever. In answer to your original question, I'd run it at a level that it's happy under continuous duty.

WSGSD

Regarding the 40 watts....I wasn't paying close attention when it was done, but a tech hooked the antenna up to a watt meter to ensure it was operating to standards. When this was done, I think it was connected to an ICOM mobile in his truck. The radio was keyed up and the meter read a solid 40 watts. I saw the needle in person. The tech said the antenna was just fine. The original FCC license dates back to 1982 and I'd have to do some serious digging to see if the original paperwork exists to see if a ERP was listed. In the meantime I may have the vendor give the repeater's wattage a slight increase so it's closer to the licensed 30.

In regards to your suggestion of running it at whatever it's happy at, how would I know if it wasn't happy where the programming should be knocked back?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
WSGSD said:
Regarding the 40 watts....I wasn't paying close attention when it was done, but a tech hooked the antenna up to a watt meter to ensure it was operating to standards. When this was done, I think it was connected to an ICOM mobile in his truck.

Ok. That 40 watts has nothing to do with the antenna, but if he checked reflected power, he would have been looking for less than 10% reflected power. 40 watts forward, 4 watts reflected would be acceptable. What you missed was the reflected power reading, which is what matters when it's the antenna that's being tested.

WSGSD said:
In regards to your suggestion of running it at whatever it's happy at, how would I know if it wasn't happy where the programming should be knocked back?

By "happy", I mean it's rated continuous duty power, as specified in the manual. That's where it doesn't fail, or run excessively hot. Trying to squeeze an extra 20% of power out of it could shorten it's life by 80%, and you'd never notice an increase in range. Have your tech set it to the level required for continuous duty operation, and the chances of it failing because of over use are greatly diminished.

WSGSD

Thanks for the info. The radio vendor wasn't overly proactive regarding my idea on upping the wattage. I've used info I've obtained from this forum in discussions with my radio vendor & they look at me odd like, "where did you learn about that?" The end result has always been positive. I'll have to take his word on what the continuous duty setting is or I'll have to hunt for the manual. He'll be coming back to finish the job, I'll discuss the antenna and repeater and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.