• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GR1225 UHF repeater controller question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a GR1225 repeater from eBay. It has the standard controller installed, and I am curious as to the options I have with the controller.

I will be programming the repeater myself (I was able to obtain the software and OEM motorola rib/cable). I will be programming the repeater with two channels (both the same frequencies). Channel #1 will be the full 45w output and channel #2 will be 25w output. Is it possible to remotely change the channel as well as remotely knockdown the repeater?

Thanks!!

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You may be able to knock it down remotely via DTMF with the internal controller but I'm pretty sure you can't get it to change channels. What are you planning on using it for?

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
GMRS. Nothing major. But I would like the option to knock it down if it becomes a problem.

cmdrwill

If it is a true R1225 chassis, then the so called controller is built into the single chassis radio.

There would not be that noticeable difference between the two power settings to make it worthwhile trying to add something to 'change the channel'.

I would upgrade the fan, they are known for poor performance and failure. Also overhauling the PA as these are known for failing from over heating. .

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
So if you had a choice what would you choose?

Motorola GR1225
Icom FR4000
Vertex VXR7000
Kenwood TKR-850

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
So if you had a choice what would you choose?

Motorola GR1225
Icom FR4000
Vertex VXR7000
Kenwood TKR-850

Given the above, I would go with the Vertex VXR7000, as they are currently the only ones of the last three choices available on eBay at the moment. They are definitely superior to the GR1225 despite the "Motorola" name. There is in fact a practically brand new Vertex available for $950 "Buy it Now" or a starting bid of $700 if one wished to chance an auction.

On the other hand, buying used gear is definitely a crap shoot. Were it me, I'd give serious consideration to the BridgeCom BCR-40U, which at $1500 with programming cable, software and a good warranty, is brand new.

I definitely like mine, the only problems I've encountered are my poor choice of a Comet antenna and not enough antenna height, and that ain't the repeater's fault!... :wink:

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
I was able to find (locally from a dealer) a VXR-7000 and a Icom FR4000. The dealer has been nice enough to offer them for the same price for me, and he is throwing in programming and tuning for the duplexer.

So I guess I have narrowed the search down to those two... Based on that which would be better?

Again, I'm using the repeater for GMRS. I would like remote DTMF Knockdown if possible.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was able to find (locally from a dealer) a VXR-7000 and a Icom FR4000. The dealer has been nice enough to offer them for the same price for me, and he is throwing in programming and tuning for the duplexer.

So I guess I have narrowed the search down to those two... Based on that which would be better?

Again, I'm using the repeater for GMRS. I would like remote DTMF Knockdown if possible.
. This company has controllers which are both single and dual port, and are dtmf programmable allowing cwid too. Integrated Control Systems - Integrated Control Systems. :wink: 73, n9zas

LakeMan2

I have the following repeaters for GMRS:

GR1225
FR-4000
MTR2000

The channel for the GR1225 can be "remotely" changed through the accessory connector but it is somewhat difficult to set up and requires some sort of interface box. There are 4 channel lines out of the accessory connector and depending on which ones you ground (or take high, I forget) selects the channel. Everyone recommends that you do not run the GR1225 at high power.

The FR-4000 I would not necessarily recommend depending on your situation. I had some issues where mine really did not work as well as I hoped it would. It radiates low level noise on the TX freq and seems to be somewhat easier to desense. Probably a good repeater for a remote location (where the noise radiation won't matter) and where fringe range is not critical. It does have built in remote DTMF control though. Again I don't need it so I never looked into any details on it. It is also not recommended to run on high power.

I do like the MTR2000. Better built and specs than the GR1225 or FR-4000, has wireline card as well as a wildcard option allowing for a bunch of input/outputs etc. It does not have the issues my FR-4000 does. I don't need remote connections so I have not looked into remote control of it in any detail.

Don't know anything about the VXR-7000 so I can't comment on that.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The full manual for the VXR-700 may be downloaded from here:
http://www.vertexstandard.com/ap/pdf/VXR-7000/VXR-7000_Owners_Manual.pdf
No mention of DTMF 'knockdown' with the included simple controller.

The manual for the Icom FR4000 may be obtained from here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...W5NesXxC28FvCGY5A&sig2=vVAJgMEtJoEWQICbW6VaQQ

Full remote DTMF control of the repeater is a standard feature.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
The other thing to consider is that Motorola declared "End of Service Life" status for the 1225 some time ago, meaning you might not be able to get repair parts for it.

I still have some customers running 1225s and I have been warning them that it's time to budget for replacements. The ones that I can't convince to go TRBO are being steered to the VX-7000. It's a nice, stout little package that performs well.

Larry

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The other thing to consider is that Motorola declared "End of Service Life" status for the 1225 some time ago, meaning you might not be able to get repair parts for it.

I still have some customers running 1225s and I have been warning them that it's time to budget for replacements. The ones that I can't convince to go TRBO are being steered to the VX-7000. It's a nice, stout little package that performs well.

Larry

The big problem with TRBO repeaters is you loose all linking functionality when running analog (as there is an obvious push in the industry to only sell digital capable equipment). Personally, if I were shopping for repeaters to run DMR or Analog (linked) I'd be looking at the SDB series from Simoco.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Ended up going with a Icom FR-4000, I am in the process of putting it on the air right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.