GRA - D220R. Diamond replacemnt?

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a GRA D-220R from Gabril Radio on Amazon. Appears to look exactly the same as the Diamond D-220R. I originally wanted the D220R But I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone own the GRA model that can provide some feedback? Thanks!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I originally wanted the D220R But I can't seem to find it anywhere.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a GRA D-220R from Gabril Radio on Amazon. Appears to look exactly the same as the Diamond D-220R. I originally wanted the D220R But I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone own the GRA model that can provide some feedback? Thanks!
They appear to be identical. I've owned both the Diamond D220, and the D220R, as well as the Harvest D220R (Diamond clone), but not the GRA-D220R. I think they performed very well. I used mine for VHF/UHF air-bands, as well as 698-898 MHz public safety. I got a lot of flak from others saying it's not a true discone design, I was also told to remove the top vertical element. Mine was mounted on a 9ft tall light stand in my home office. What is your intended use?

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
They appear to be identical. I've owned both the Diamond D220, and the D220R, as well as the Harvest D220R (Diamond clone), but not the GRA-D220R. I think they performed very well. I used mine for VHF/UHF air-bands, as well as 698-898 MHz public safety. I got a lot of flak from others saying it's not a true discone design, I was also told to remove the top vertical element. Mine was mounted on a 9ft tall light stand in my home office. What is your intended use?
I intend to put mine in my attic for indoor use. Since I live in an HOA

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I intend to put mine in my attic for indoor use. Since I live in an HOA

Did you ever do it? and if so how well did it perform? I was thinking of using this with a right angle adapter on the back of my PCR-100 as a back-of-set type antenna.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I ended up going with the regular Diamond with a Pre amp, and it works great up in my closet/attic space
Ah yeah definitely the better idea for a fixed mount. Glad you got it worked out good.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
It also mounts nice on a microphone desktop stand for placing atop an office bookshelf or an antenna to move around for tests.