Grady EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Lately, I've been hearing what clearly sounds like Grady EMS Dispatch on the Talkgroup 19655, which is listed here on RR as AFD Med 3 (rarely used). Does anyone know if Grady EMS has moved from the old analog Fulton County TRS to the Atlanta DTRS? It would certainly make sense if they did.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
That would be costly if they did since they are governed by Fulton County. Maybe it's a patch or interop channel? If I could pick them up here, I would give it a try.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Mike - what I've heard that made me think Grady was clearly an EMS service dispatching a unit, e.g., 202, 205, on typical EMS calls. Couldn't imagine it being anybody but Grady. I'll keep monitoring and see what I can determine.

During the week of May 21-25, 2010, Motorola was doing re-banding stuff (changing control channels, etc.) to the 20 year old system. Needless to say they ran into a lot of problems along the way. It was necessary for Grady to migrate to Atlanta FD Med 2 and Med 3. Grady is back on the old Fulton analog system now. I don't think there are any plans for Grady to become part of Atlanta's digital system. That would make too much sense. Grady and AFD's relationship leaves a lot to be desired. Grady was exploring it's own independent digital system that would not be affiliated with Fulton County or City of Atlanta. Time will tell. You have to love politics.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Thanks 30319!! That certainly explains what I've been hearing. I appreciate you replying. I also agree 100% with your comment about things making sense. In my opinion, THAT is the biggest obstacle to interoperability. It's not technology - it's the politics and human engineering.

ronnie222

Mike - what I've heard that made me think Grady was clearly an EMS service dispatching a unit, e.g., 202, 205, on typical EMS calls. Couldn't imagine it being anybody but Grady. I'll keep monitoring and see what I can determine.

Hi,

Any possibility getting a Grady EMS feed again? Are there still some archives of the ambulance feed?

Thanks

Transition

Grady is in the process of going digital to keep up with fire. We do have to communicate in the field with the alot. Grady is looking at being completely switched over by the end of the year.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
All Grady needs to do is just switch out their radio equipment so they can do P25. I'm surprised they are not already using XTS radio's right now. Unless Grady is going to switch over to the Atlanta system, they can still have both the Atlanta and Fulco (analog) in their radio's.

Still don't know why Atlanta and Fulco don't combine their systems into a single huge system. Well, I do, it's called politics!

I spoke with the Director of Grady EMS two days ago and he stated they were going to be on Atlanta's digital system in the next 2 months. Most of the portables Grady has are XTS 3000's and 5000's. There are still a good deal of MTS 2000 floating around.

Like an old Captain of mine used to say: Don't believe it till it happens for two consecutive pay periods.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
It's really odd that they will be using the Atlanta DTRS as Grady is part of Fulton County! I wonder if any money is being exchanged in this.

I'm not sure if Grady would be charged "rent" to use the radio space. Grady does operate in Fulton County but only in the City of Atlanta. Grady does provide mutual aid assistance to RMA in North and South Fulton.

Rural/Metro Ambulance Service operates in North Fulton (City Of Milton, City of Sandy Springs and City of John's Creek) (possibly Milton County soon?) and South Fulton (City of East Point, College Park, Union City, Fairburn, Palmetto, City of Chatt.Hills, etc. RMA uses Fulton's radio system just like Grady does now.

I guess it would make sense that Grady would operate on COA radio system since they respond to calls with them.

I can't imagine why someone else would want to severe ties with Fulton County? Can you?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the biggest issues they will have will be upgrading all the XTS2500RB's they have floating around to Astro 25 SZOL. The XTS3000 is not Astro 25, despite the fact that Motorola released HOST 6.72 which does support it- but good luck getting them authorized on anyone's Astro 25 system IF they have that firmware (which they don't). And the MTS2000's obviously won't work. So looks like they'll have to spend some money on radios to replace the incompatible ones. All of the XTS5000's purchased in 2003 and 2004 by Fulton county have ANALOG ONLY flashcodes and will require flash upgrades (around 300-500 a piece) to support Astro 25. Don't you just love Motorola?

Aside, the Atlanta DTRS does not have the coverage on the north side. I would be surprised if Atlanta wouldn't charge them for talkgroup airtime. Grady's TG's are some of the busiest on the Fulton system. It's one thing to give mutual aid ID's out for response but mapping talkgroups on a system means giving up resources. And that comes down to money. The city of Atlanta would be foolish not to.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Aside, the Atlanta DTRS does not have the coverage on the north side. I would be surprised if Atlanta wouldn't charge them for talkgroup airtime.

Remember, Grady will only go as far north as to the Sandy Springs city limits, where it's then handed off to R/M. Southside of the county I believe is handled by another private service, so, pretty much, Grady EMS is pretty confined to just the city limits. I'm really surprised that they don't make runs into DeKalb County since Grady Hospital is jointly run by Fulton & DeKalb County. DeKalb would love it since they could turn all the indigent calls over to Grady!

Personally, I liked it better back in the 80's & 90's when Metro ran everything north of 14th street (witch when we ran a back up south of 14th street we would notify radio we were "crossing the Romulan Neutral Zone), and Atlanta South had everything E. Point south.

ronnie222

Remember, Grady will only go as far north as to the Sandy Springs city limits, where it's then handed off to R/M. Southside of the county I believe is handled by another private service, so, pretty much, Grady EMS is pretty confined to just the city limits. I'm really surprised that they don't make runs into DeKalb County since Grady Hospital is jointly run by Fulton & DeKalb County. DeKalb would love it since they could turn all the indigent calls over to Grady!

Personally, I liked it better back in the 80's & 90's when Metro ran everything north of 14th street (witch when we ran a back up south of 14th street we would notify radio we were "crossing the Romulan Neutral Zone), and Atlanta South had everything E. Point south.

You might have liked Metro running everything north of 14th street, but the citizens hated it. Metro ambulance of the 80's and 90's was extremely inefficient in many areas of EMS....Atlanta South was even worse!
Politics kept those ambulance services running as long as they did. Atlanta South went to Cherokee County, and under the direction of Lenia Tribble ran that service further into the ground.

Politics in EMS ???? Wow. Really? Everything north of 14th St was where the Code G ($) was back in the day.

Ronnie 222 you sound familiar. Do you work at Grady? Are you RP? Do you listen to radio free Gradyadio for three days in a row? If so, Catnip is here too. Stay safe! Great post.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
For one to remember the Romulan Neutral Zone (14th Street) would have and to be in EMS back in the 80's, along with me! I spent about 3 years north of 14th, and I think we did a rather damn good job. You had Metro along with StarLife back then and we still managed to answer all of our calls as well as Grady Backups (when they didn't have crews enough to provide adequate coverage).

Metro sold out to I believe it was CareLine, then AMR who was the real drag down. Metro is back in operation as MetroAtlanta and covers 3/4 of Cobb County and are doing quite well.

ronnie222

Noth of 14th

Catnip!! Wow, I have not heard of him since he got out of the army- flying helos. Metro and star life had some good qualities, and a few great medics, but the management sucked. Overall they were a starter service..work there a few years, then move on and work part time for um.

And I know how to spell North.

;)

Ronnie222 can you send me a private message, please? Thank you in advance.

Mike: I love the Star Trek references! 14th St used to be the line of demarcation with the haves living north and the have nots living south. Metro got the paying customers while Grady got the shaft.

Phasers on stun!

Status
Not open for further replies.