Grafton SO monitor firegrounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Is there some type of uplink or IP connected device that allows Grafton Sheriffs office/Twin state to monitor a local simplex channel. example - they can copy a unit transmitting locally on a fireground channel (portable 5watts) in Littleton and hear them in North Haverhill. What other backline equipment is used to achieve this?

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Honestly, I would've asked you if you knew LOL.

I'm not sure if GCSO is set up to monitor their fireground channels and as you know that varies by center. Given all the channels they have to monitor and operate on, I wouldn't be surpirsed if they don't. And now they're doing the Coos County stuff for the time being as well.

John M

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I know they have a way to monitor as we had a company calling another unit on the wrong channel and twin state corrected and said “you’re on fire ground”. I’m just wondering how they monitor these simplex channels when geographically it doesn’t seem possible without another piece of equipment

Metronorthradio

FREQ OF NATURE
Twin state has the capability of transmitting and receiving an all fire ground channels, u/v comm, capital west & east ( St. J fed) they also utilize all the VTEC channels, all the radios or just reprogrammed at the beginning of the year with all the new channel lineups. The old Haverhill police repeater is now Grafton west which covers a large variety of Police Department as far as Wire One and Wentworth heading south and used as far north as Haverhill and Benton areas. Wednesday has a handful of UHF (453Mhz) links from dispatch to Cannon, mans Hill, West Newbury. What I’m really interested is in since the switch over to doing the more northern departments around Lancaster, I’m wondering if they’re going to put in for more fire ground channels or additional repeaters or take over their existing channels.

NEK1213

The NORPAC fire departments have been utilizing 154.280 or the individual town's municipal frequency for their ground frequencies.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Makes sense. It's always been a common fireground channel in NH. The state is slowly changing the PL tone over to 156.7 and renaming it to the national naming, VFIRE21. It's in various stages of use, tone, and naming for now.

Are the UHF Links/Repeaters for 154.400 still in use? They were working towards expanding that capability at one point, so I wonder if they'd do the same for the Fireground.

Also, they've temporarily taken over the Coos County/Lancaster police dispatch (155.595) and Norpac fire dispatch (154.445) and I wonder how they're tying to those systems.

John M

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
154.400 is still being simulcast on the UHF links. Here in Littleton I can hear the Manns Hill and Cannon Mt UHF radios. If they are simulcasting the firegrounds via UHF I haven't found the frequencies for them yet.

k1sah

Premium Subscriber
I’ve always wondered the same about the Twin State main 154.400 frequency. There has never been a typical repeater for that freq. When I was a member of a small department served by Twin State all of our radios were programmed simplex only. Not transmitting on a repeater input.

How could Grafton hear us from a portable? I always thought it could be like the USCG monitors Ch 16. Many listening stations with some kind of a link back to dispatch? One main simplex transmitter mountain top that everyone could hear.

Twin State’s license has always included a tower on the W.Newbury FD. That would certainly help receiving traffic from the south portion of their service area.

i’d always hoped back in the day I’d find some kind of OTA link back to North Haverhill. When I was younger I thought it was the UHF freqs they have licensed but no. This system predated dedicated internet links. Fiber maybe? But it would’ve been fairly early for that too. Telco lines? So How the heck do they pull it off?

I could always hear departments close by on the 154.400 simplex… but nada further away.

I can’t believe that system was never set up as a traditional repeater…. So everyone could hear everyone. I understand TS serves a large area… but it seems like, with a few dead spots to be expected, all the TS departments, at least mobile, could reach Cannon Mountain.

ecps92

Yes, Twin State has multiple Remote RX/TX Sites to cover the District, with many of them RF [UHF] linked back to the SO Dispatch.

the draw back of [Scanner Users] relying on the link soley is that if the site is used to TX [Dispatch] you won't hear that come across
the link, but it is GREAT to be able to hear the mobiles that we can't hear directly on the VHF

I’ve always wondered the same about the Twin State main 154.400 frequency. There has never been a typical repeater for that freq. When I was a member of a small department served by Twin State all of our radios were programmed simplex only. Not transmitting on a repeater input.

How could Grafton hear us from a portable? I always thought it could be like the USCG monitors Ch 16. Many listening stations with some kind of a link back to dispatch? One main simplex transmitter mountain top that everyone could hear.

Twin State’s license has always included a tower on the W.Newbury FD. That would certainly help receiving traffic from the south portion of their service area.

i’d always hoped back in the day I’d find some kind of OTA link back to North Haverhill. When I was younger I thought it was the UHF freqs they have licensed but no. This system predated dedicated internet links. Fiber maybe? But it would’ve been fairly early for that too. Telco lines? So How the heck do they pull it off?

I could always hear departments close by on the 154.400 simplex… but nada further away.

I can’t believe that system was never set up as a traditional repeater…. So everyone could hear everyone. I understand TS serves a large area… but it seems like, with a few dead spots to be expected, all the TS departments, at least mobile, could reach Cannon Mountain.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Capital Area, Lakes Region, Southwestern Mutual Aid, and many others, do not use repeaters. This is partially evolution and partially by design. Repeaters allow units to hear each other and not really for the dispatcher. The dispatcher will hear the units regardless if it's simplex or a repeater. While that is nice for units to hear each other, it also allow units to "Talk" to each other, which isn't a primary purpose of a primary/dispatch channel. Unless the dispatcher has complete control of that system, there is a risk of the channel becoming a unit-to-unit channel impeding dispatch from dispatching units and keeping track of them.

ecps92

Didn't LRMFA just add Repeaters ?, to the Firegrounds ? Not Dispatch, right ?
Capital Area, Lakes Region, Southwestern Mutual Aid, and many others, do not use repeaters. This is partially evolution and partially by design. Repeaters allow units to hear each other and not really for the dispatcher. The dispatcher will hear the units regardless if it's simplex or a repeater. While that is nice for units to hear each other, it also allow units to "Talk" to each other, which isn't a primary purpose of a primary/dispatch channel. Unless the dispatcher has complete control of that system, there is a risk of the channel becoming a unit-to-unit channel impeding dispatch from dispatching units and keeping track of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.