Grand Canyon National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paysonscanner

I want to thank whoever is providing the updates for Grand Canyon National Park. It looks like after a number of years that someone either got access to some new info or the NPS received funds to complete the system they designed originally. Now that I live in Arizona again, I'm looking forward to taking some trips up there. Too bad the LE Net is encrypted, but such are the times we live in.

I want to ask everyone a question. Would it be better to list the frequencies in groups that match the nets, instead of in frequency numerical order? Right now the list has them in numerical order and you might have a couple lines of the Tac Net, followed by a line of Law Net, followed by three lines of Fire Net, etc. I've been programming my scanners net by net as I find that easier to keep track of when listening to the park. It is hard to look up and down the list as it exists now to make sure I get every frequency for each net. I've never found frequency/talkgroup number order to be helpful for any agency. Everybody's brain works a little differently though.

I thought to ask everyone else first, rather make a submission suggesting the above.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
Click on "Download and Reports" and download the .csv file for the Arizona - US Government data. Then sort the data first by column D and then by column E. That will give you GCNP listed together and the channels listed alphabetically.

Paysonscanner

Click on "Download and Reports" and download the .csv file for the Arizona - US Government data. Then sort the data first by column D and then by column E. That will give you GCNP listed together and the channels listed alphabetically.

Thank you, I will try that.

Paysonscanner

My computer skills are rudimentary so I could be missing something. I did what you suggested and find that printing the results is messy. I might get some time to look into the database policy. Whatever policy is, it looks like there isn't any consistency. Some pages are logical and list systems by channel order or in order of different nets, like agency radios are programmed. Needless to say, agency radios are not programmed in frequency or talkgroup order. Such would not be user friendly.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
From the csv, copy & paste it into radio. If your using 3rd party like Butel you will have additional sorting features.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I regrouped the channels into what I think is a logical order: Law>Fire>EMS>Admin etc. It should be better now.

During the recent updates I clicked on an option to sort by frequency to make the corrections easier and forgot to unclick it. After reading this thread I checked and it appeared there was no grouping of the channels anyway so the sort order would not have made sense so I set up the grouping.

Hope this helps!

Paysonscanner

I regrouped the channels into what I think is a logical order: Law>Fire>EMS>Admin etc. It should be better now.

During the recent updates I clicked on an option to sort by frequency to make the corrections easier and forgot to unclick it. After reading this thread I checked and it appeared there was no grouping of the channels anyway so the sort order would not have made sense so I set up the grouping.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!! This makes a lot more sense.

Paysonscanner

From the csv, copy & paste it into radio. If your using 3rd party like Butel you will have additional sorting features.

I didn't want to use the database page or a spreadsheet for programming, just as a paper reference to add a few frequencies to the PSR-500/600 file already loaded in my scanners. I sometimes print up the RR Database page to carry in the notebooks I carry during travels. I often travel to places without cell phone service when I'm listening to land management/natural resource agency traffic and can't rely on a computer to look up things. That is the point of the paper notebooks. I love traveling to places without cell phone service!

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
My cell phone has all maps loaded on SD Card. Along with offline topo. New cellular Hotspot runs off diversity external antennas. Plus cellular extender uses external antenna. With new 5G service, cellular work farther into the mountains with First Net.

Paysonscanner

My cell phone has all maps loaded on SD Card. Along with offline topo. New cellular Hotspot runs off diversity external antennas. Plus cellular extender uses external antenna. With new 5G service, cellular work farther into the mountains with First Net.

I don't even have a "smart phone," I have a flip phone. I don't like the size of the new phones as I don't often carry a purse. I don't like to spend that much time on a computer. My late husband and I did a lot of our traveling into some remote areas, both by vehicle and backpacking. An example being "The Maze" in Utah and several trips in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho. The Owyhee River country of southwest Idaho, southeast Oregon and parts of northern Nevada was another favorite place to explore. The cell phones were turned off and put away once we lost coverage. We were traveling to such places in the late 70's - early 90's when cell phones weren't around. There are many places in the Sierra Nevada that don't and will not have cell phone service, right in what was our backyard when he was still alive. I still have the nighttime satellite map of the U.S. we had hanging on a wall. We found the largest dark spots and then took exploratory trips to them. I suppose this is a reason why, other than healthcare applications, I'm lame at computers. Many of the maps in "The Notebooks" are not computer based, are too big to scan and besides, I prefer not to look at a little screen of them.

"All" maps are not in a computer somewhere. More and more are, but are tough to use, example being the 7.5 minute USGS quads. We found that our eyes needed to see the whole thing at full scale at the same time, not scrolling around a small screen.

If you have a lot of computer skills and are into it, good for you, I would never criticize anyone for that. The fact that all of us are different is what makes life fun. The places Hubby and I liked to travel don't have any cell coverage and never will. Satellite phones, maybe, but not land based cell tower coverage. Some of the roaded areas in those dark spots don't have enough of a population where cell phone tower construction could pencil out. Some of those places don't have the internet, commercial power or even landline phones. Again, because the population served is so low and dispersed. Before my husband got ill we were talking of retirement in such a place. Not off grid, but "beyond grid." A lot of people don't understand this and that is OK too. My parents understood, but my husband's family, all urbanites, (mostly living in southern California) did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.