Grandmas scanner SD card went bad (under a year warranty) need help with new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissath

So my grandma lives in mower county MN. Her scanner SD card went bad and I loaded all the channels from here on it and I still cannot get it to work. I even tried the basic programming but it will not get what the below link gets. It is bad when I have 5 years of corporate IT experience and cannot get something to work after trying over an hour. I put a 8GB same manufacture from home into it to replace it. I did clear user data and full forced formats and writes.

What I can hear online but not on her radio
Mower County Live Audio Feeds

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Assuming you've done the firmware update, downloaded the full database and selected the desired Service Types, what happens when you try scanning the full database after entering the zip code (55926 or whichever is hers)?

That should give you an idea of what you can receive.

Did you use Sentinel to get the programming data for Mower County, to include the ARMER system? Or, did you build your Favorites List based on the RR database itself?

SCPD

QRT
I would like above make sure the database on the latest update and download it to the card. Then go to options in main menu and turn off the entire database. Enter your zip or create a custom favorites on the sentinel then upload it to the scanner. Make sure you go into the menu and leave full database off and select the favorite list you wish to monitor. It probably is trying to scan a entire region with the full db on thus missing traffic on what you really want to hear. Just little learing curve with the newer lines but once you get it it'll come easy. I ran into that when I got my first 436 not realizing the full database for the region was trying to scan.

nissath

Assuming you've done the firmware update, downloaded the full database and selected the desired Service Types, what happens when you try scanning the full database after entering the zip code (55926 or whichever is hers)?

That should give you an idea of what you can receive.

Did you use Sentinel to get the programming data for Mower County, to include the ARMER system? Or, did you build your Favorites List based on the RR database itself?

Did a full database, then did favorites only.. 55912 area code and when just in full database mode we hear 15+ miles away but not local.

nissath

I am also going to try a full database then avoid farther out frequencies that it picks up.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
With you receiving "something" that tells you the scanner is working. The next steps would be to use the Range function and gradually drop the values until you focus in on what you want to hear.

After you get a little more comfortable and confident that your scanner is working, you can try your hand at building a Favorites List. Then write it to the scanner and turn off the full database.

I wouldn't feel too bad that you are struggling with the scanner at first. Electronics is a lot like medicine. A doctor who has 20 years of experience in repairing broken bones may not be my first choice for heart surgery (and vice versa).

Status
Not open for further replies.