Grant county Central dispatch disappeared

RichTB

I am a feed provider for Grant county central dispatch. The frequencies and talk groups went silent a couple days ago on the hoosier safe-T. I did some research and see there are new frequencies and talk groups listed for Grant county government so I programed them up and it's crickets. I opened them up and can hear state police on the safe-T but absolutely nothing on the new freqs. Anyone have any suggestions?

VASCAR2

Did you program the new Grant County 700 MHz trunked system. The system looks like Harris P25 Phase II simulcast system with three sites. There are Talk Groups listed for Sheriff/Police and Fire Dispatch. I’m to far away to try and monitor Grant County. Here is a link to the new Grant County system, shows RR updated a couple days ago.

Valkyrie06

Premium Subscriber
I started scanning it when they switched on Monday. I was tracking the system while they were testing. The main thing to watch is they change control frequencies fairly often. Using the automatic definitions from RR did NOT allow SDRTrunk to see there were alternate controls available. You need to make sure they're all in your settings regardless of hardware/software.

They are also being weird. I initially set up in LSM mode for simulcast. This did work but then in working out more details I saw some oddities. Turns they are ALSO transmitting C4FM of the same data. I've never seen this before on the same system. Also they are NOT using TDMA which surprised me greatlt.

Furthermore fire has occasionally tested but is completely on the old system. Also small-town police dispatch (Jonesboro, Van Buren, etc.) is still on the old system. Thus we effectively have three law dispatch channels with no overlap.

Only two - Marion Police and MGH are totally on the new system. MGH is apparently the on encrypted channels I see and are not seen elsewhere.

If you are truly getting no county law or fire, something more is broken. To compare, you can check my calls feeds on nodes 1762 and 2469.

I'm willing to offer more advice but I've got to know a lot more details. I know several people who seem to have their Unidens working right, though generally with effort. What settings are you using?

ScanNEIN

All County Law Enforcement have switched to Grant County Atlas 700 MHz Phase 2 System. I programmed the new freq in my GRE scanner and I cannot receive anything. I can only hear traffic on my SDS 100.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
They are also being weird. I initially set up in LSM mode for simulcast. This did work but then in working out more details I saw some oddities. Turns they are ALSO transmitting C4FM of the same data. I've never seen this before on the same system.
Wait, so they're transmitting C4FM simulcast or they're doing both CQPSK and C4FM at the same time? Either way, it is definitely weird.

Also they are NOT using TDMA which surprised me greatlt.

They could just be running FDMA for now until they get everyone on board, then they'll probably start switching to TDMA. Being a new Harris system, it's a little surprising to see they didn't try to upsell the TDMA control channel, at least for now.

west-pac

They could just be running FDMA for now until they get everyone on board, then they'll probably start switching to TDMA. Being a new Harris system, it's a little surprising to see they didn't try to upsell the TDMA control channel, at least for now.
They're reusing their current radios. Without a doubt some of them are not Phase 2 capable. As more users come online, and as Phase 1 radios get replaced with Phase 2 radios, doubling the capacity of the system is built-in by simply switching from FDMA to TDMA.

Valkyrie06

Premium Subscriber
All County Law Enforcement have switched to Grant County Atlas 700 MHz Phase 2 System. I programmed the new freq in my GRE scanner and I cannot receive anything. I can only hear traffic on my SDS 100.
Yes. That was done late afternoon Friday. When I commented this was too new to be sure of.

Valkyrie06

Premium Subscriber
Wait, so they're transmitting C4FM simulcast or they're doing both CQPSK and C4FM at the same time? Either way, it is definitely weird.
Was thinking it over. It may be the latest SDRTrunk will switch it if set wrong. I've got more pressing issues than this so it's on a very back burner.

That's been my assumption. The frequencies are a tad sparse without it.

RichTB

Hi guys, thanks for responding. After I posted I realised my scanner wasn't compatible with phase 2 so I ordered a BCD325P2.
Are you guys saying it's simulcast? Then my BCD325P2 wont work, am I correct?
Someone said some police are still on the old system, I can verify that is incorrect. I hear no local police at all on the phase 1 system.

west-pac

Hi guys, thanks for responding. After I posted I realised my scanner wasn't compatible with phase 2 so I ordered a BCD325P2.
Are you guys saying it's simulcast? Then my BCD325P2 wont work, am I correct?
Someone said some police are still on the old system, I can verify that is incorrect. I hear no local police at all on the phase 1 system.
It is a 3-site simulcast radio system.

RichTB

All County Law Enforcement have switched to Grant County Atlas 700 MHz Phase 2 System. I programmed the new freq in my GRE scanner and I cannot receive anything. I can only hear traffic on my SDS 100. figured out scanner wasn't phase 2 capable so I'm upgrading. Now to figure out if the BCD325P2 will work or if I have to have the sds100

I started scanning it when they switched on Monday. I was tracking the system while they were testing. The main thing to watch is they change control frequencies fairly often. Using the automatic definitions from RR did NOT allow SDRTrunk to see there were alternate controls available. You need to make sure they're all in your settings regardless of hardware/software.

They are also being weird. I initially set up in LSM mode for simulcast. This did work but then in working out more details I saw some oddities. Turns they are ALSO transmitting C4FM of the same data. I've never seen this before on the same system. Also they are NOT using TDMA which surprised me greatlt.

Furthermore fire has occasionally tested but is completely on the old system. Also small-town police dispatch (Jonesboro, Van Buren, etc.) is still on the old system. Thus we effectively have three law dispatch channels with no overlap.

Only two - Marion Police and MGH are totally on the new system. MGH is apparently the on encrypted channels I see and are not seen elsewhere.

If you are truly getting no county law or fire, something more is broken. To compare, you can check my calls feeds on nodes 1762 and 2469.

I'm willing to offer more advice but I've got to know a lot more details. I know several people who seem to have their Unidens working right, though generally with effort. What settings are you using?
I have sdr trunk and one dongle. I truely wish I knew how to run it lol. I also have to confess when you said
To compare, you can check my calls feeds on nodes 1762 and 2469.
I was completely lost. I have a mind for this kind of thing but life has gotten in the way of my hobbies.
I was using a radio shack scanner for the safe-t system. I ordered a BCD325P2 but I'm afraid it won't work if the p2 system is simulcast, not sure yet. I do appreciate your comment.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I ordered a BCD325P2 but I'm afraid it won't work if the p2 system is simulcast...
Is there something about the BCD325P2 that keeps it from working on simulcast systems? Some radios, such as the SDS100/SDS200 handle simulcast systems better than others, but I'm not aware of radios that simply won't decode simulcast at all.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
I ordered a BCD325P2 but I'm afraid it won't work if the p2 system is simulcast, not sure yet.

There is a chance you will be in a "good spot" for receiving the system where it'll catch most transmissions, but that's only a chance. Most likely you'll have poor performance with the 325P2, but it's worth a shot.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Is there something about the BCD325P2 that keeps it from working on simulcast systems? Some radios, such as the SDS100/SDS200 handle simulcast systems better than others, but I'm not aware of radios that simply won't decode simulcast at all.

I've heard that destructive interference from the signals being out of phase messes up the P25 packet data, or that there's an AM component in CQPSK that is difficult to pull with an FM receiver. From my findings, most receivers will decode CQPSK by itself but in a simulcast environment they really struggle if the place they're at isn't perfect.

VASCAR2

I have a BCD325P2 hand held and it struggles with simulcast systems. Some areas it works but it is really location specific on how much if any it receives. While I was staying in an area that had 800 MHz simulcast trunked I tried everything within reason to get my BCD996XT and BCD325P2 to receive. No luck at that location but I could drive around and would find locations where those scanners received. The SDS100/200 are probably the best solution if you want to monitor simulcast systems.

RichTB

What scanners are people confirmed to be able to hear the grant county p2 traffic on?