Grayslake/Round Lake Tone Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobes

Feed Provider
154.4000 uses a tone of 127.3 which I've tried using and the PL doesn't seem to be steady because the channel then cuts in and out. I normally have full bars and a super strong signal too.

When I set that channel to scan the tone it shows 127.3 but not a normal steady flashing.

Anyone have a clue why it would fade in and out like this?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have no trouble with them.I live in their district I can hear them as far as Downers grove. Then I am using a motorola XTS5000 and a Spectra in my jeep

crevatis

154.4000 uses a tone of 127.3 which I've tried using and the PL doesn't seem to be steady because the channel then cuts in and out. I normally have full bars and a super strong signal too.

When I set that channel to scan the tone it shows 127.3 but not a normal steady flashing.

Anyone have a clue why it would fade in and out like this?

What kinda of scanner are you using? I have this exact same issue with my 396XT, but my older scanners like the BC780xlt and BC296D detect a steady tone. I have this issue with the SE quad with scanner as well, but the others work fine down there too.

crevatis

I posted a thread a little while ago asking if anyone had trouble with the 396XT detecting certain PLs, and got a knee jerk response from Uniden's product rep to check the modulation settings. I replied that it didn't matter if it was set to FM or NFM and that my other radios don't have this problem. It was dead quiet after that. You can try adjusting your modulation mode, but if its like my radio, it won't make a difference. I'm just curious if this is the case with all these new Uniden XT scanners or if we just got a couple bad apple's.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
On some models when the "modulation is "LOUD" and using the PL tone you receive "CLIPPING" and it tends to clip out voice peaks, this is one example of what you may be seeing...I can get this on Kendall Co Sherrif and i have to set the tone to "Search" instead??....I can hear 154.400 here in my city when weather conditions are good with the 127 PL....

jobes

Feed Provider
On the XT do you ever get a bleed over from a weather channel? It really doesn't seem to bleed on any particular programmed freq either. The channel just stops for a few seconds and the voice comes over clear. When it stops it shows my programmed freq so it's not doing any kind of weather priority jump.

jobes

Feed Provider
Thanks RoninJoliet

I understand the term I've just never had any of my other Uniden's show the signs of a very annoying problem.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You must live close to the transmitter....I live near a hospital and with the WX transmitter in Lockport ILL i get the same problem on my 996XT using a outside antenna...On the 154.40 127.3 clipping change the modulation to "FM" and you should still be able to use the PL...Also, on the stations you get the "intermod use a PL/DPL and that should help??....

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Also, try programming the frequency in ATTenuate mode, recommend putting it before the freq that is not attenuated.

Status
Not open for further replies.