GRE 300 and LTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Is it correct to say that since this is a bank scanner that I can input 100 frequencies into a bank with all of them being LTR site frequencies? I am trying to figure out 6 different LTR sites and I just thought that if I am able to put them all in one bank that it would be easier for me to decipher each site while in that certain area. I do know that I have to scan in "open mode" however I am not to clear on if I can just scan all know freqs. at once or do I have to sit on each and every freq. one at a time till I find out it's LCN?
I bought this scanner just to figure out these LTR sites since you can input the freqs. with being in LCN order. Now if I can just learn how to use it correctly and get the my pet project underway.
So please throw any info my way that you think may give me an upper hand in figuring out these systems.

DonS

According to the PSR-300 manual, "the scanner’s LTR Repeater Finder displays the current Home Repeater when monitoring LTR transmissions in manual mode". Based on that, you would have to sit on each frequency in manual mode in order to see the "Rnn" indicator at the bottom-right of the display. The indicator does not appear in "scan mode".

While scanning, the LTR system frequencies must be programmed according to repeater number (i.e. repeater XX goes into channel <b>XX, where <b> is the bank number and XX is the repeater number 01-20). Otherwise, the scanner won't properly track the system(s). In your case, with 100 LTR frequencies programmed: if a message is received on scanner channel b50 that says "the traffic is on HR15", and you have an LTR frequency from a different site/system in channel b15, the scanner will tune to that incorrect frequency.

The only time the scanner will ever track correctly is if it happens to hear a message where the message's "home repeater" and "goto repeater" fields are the same. Such a message can only appear on that home repeater, so the scanner already "knows" it's tuned to the correct frequency for the voice traffic.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Gre psr-300

Is it correct to say that since this is a bank scanner that I can input 100 frequencies into a bank with all of them being LTR site frequencies?
Effectively, NO. Unless a single site has 100 frequencies (numbered from 00 to 99), you can not. Typically each site you are programming will have repeater numbers 1-xx, and you'll have to program each repeater 01 in channel 01 of different banks.

I am trying to figure out 6 different LTR sites and I just thought that if I am able to put them all in one bank that it would be easier for me to decipher each site while in that certain area.
6 sites typically requires 6 banks in order to scan them. As Don mentioned, if you are just "figuring them out", you'll probably need to be in MAN mode and the bank/channel assignment does not matter in that specific instance.

So please throw any info my way that you think may give me an upper hand in figuring out these systems.
Once you have the frequencies and their repeater numbers figured out, that's when you program all of them in LCN order and SCAN them in OPEN mode. Open mode will help you determine talkgroup IDs (TG IDs). If you decide to only listen to specific TGs, and not all on a specific site/system, then you program those TGs and set the bank(s) to closed.

Good luck.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
LCN's

Once you have the frequencies and their repeater numbers figured out, that's when you program all of them in LCN order and SCAN them in OPEN mode. Open mode will help you determine talkgroup IDs (TG IDs).

Ok, got it. I was just thnking that if I program in every freq. for all 6 sites and sit on them one at a time while in the area of the site I would be able to figure out the LCN of each freq. for each system, correct? Then I could lockout that freq. and input it into my 396xt with the proper LCN and begin my listening on my 396xt. I only bought this scanner so I could figure out LTR systems and then I am going to set up a live feed with it here in the Farrell Pa. area using it. Why waste the scanner and let it catch dust when I can let other folks enjoy it too!

!

DonS

Ok, got it. I was just thnking that if I program in every freq. for all 6 sites and sit on them one at a time while in the area of the site I would be able to figure out the LCN of each freq. for each system, correct?
Correct... you'd sit on each frequency in manual mode, wait for traffic, then note the "Rxx" value (if any) that appears in the bottom-right corner of the display. The <xx>, if present, indicates the repeater number for that frequency.
Then I could lockout that freq.
Since you'll be in manual mode, there's no need to lockout the frequency after getting the repeater number (unless you want to use the lockout status as an "I've found this one" indicator).

Status
Not open for further replies.