GRE 500/600 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llwellyn

Those of you in this area that bought the 500 or 600, could you answer a question for me? It probably belongs in the GRE forum and it may have been answered, but I also kinda want to know if anyone is using it like this, if it supports it.

I had heard that the GRE scanners were supposed to be able to have both conventional and trunked on the same scan list, so you didn't have to have extra "banks" or "systems" tied up trying to monitor one or two conventional frequencies. Is this true?

On the 396T, I have to have a separate system of conventional frequencies, even if I want to monitor a single frequency. My example in point: Monitoring the AA trunk, but also monitoring the 800Mhz T/A frequencies. It requires one system for the trunk, and one system for the T/A freqs.

Did GRE find a way to make this happen, so I can have one system that scans both?

I'm seriously thinking about a 600, but now I'm looking towards the 500 after reading about sensitivity issues with the 600. The 500 will work just as well for what I want to do with it, but I was kinda psyched about the base/mobile form factor on the 600.

Anyone here using one have any problems with the front end sensitivity on their 500?

ResQguy

Meh
The GRE scanners do allow you to assign trunked and conventional to the same scan list. I've been using a PSR600 for about two weeks now, and I can't stand it. I much prefer the Uniden method of assigning the same SQK to related trunked and conventional stuff. I have all of the county's resources assigned to SQK #1, when I turn it off- no more AACo- trunked or convenional...

JoeyC

The 500 or 600 is totally flexible about what you can put in each of the 22 scanlists. If you wish you can put a single talkgroup from 20 different trunked systems in a list mixed in with conventional freqs also if you choose.

In your situation you can put the conventional freqs 854.5875 and 854.7375 in list 1 along with TG 1616, 1648, 1680, 1712 from the AA county trunk system and scan them if thats what your preference is. When in MAN mode, you can change "channels" from talkgroup to talkgroup or to the conventional freqs seamlessly. Cool.

troymail

Silent Key
I'll hit the sensitivity issue first since that hasn't been hit so far -- the PSR500 does get hit pretty hard by interference and it's really noticeable when you drive by a cell tower. In that same spot, the 396 simply quietly stops receiving but the PSR500 keeps trying to give you something - unfortunately, many times its lots of scratchy noise.... but if you really want to listen, the noise and interference can usually be reduced by hitting the ATT key until you clear the area... (hey I just had an idea - I'd like a "temp" ATT function -- that is - if I hit the ATT key, it ATTenuates for 30 seconds and then shuts off -- I keep forgetting to turn it back off).

As far as scanlists/quick keys/talkgroups - you are correct - you can put any group of any type of objects (TRS/TG, conventions, sweep, etc.) in the SAME scanlist - so yes - you can put the AA TRS in scanlist #1 and put the talk-around conventional freqs in the same scanlist. That's the good news...

The bad news is that there are no "subgroups" list the 10 you get with each 396 "system" which I really find frustrating. On my 396, I have fire routine TGs (A,B,C, M/A, etc.) in subgroup 1, fireground (D,E,F,J,K,L, etc.) in subgroup 2, etc. I also put police in subgroup 9... When I'm not listening to everything, I simply turn off "talkative" subgroups like 1 and 9 and only listen when activity pops up on the fireground channels.... you really can't do this very easily with the PSR500 - unless you program a large number of "scanlists" as if they are subgroups... and use the VFolders as the "systems" which means you need to swap them in and out, etc.

Obviously, I more interested in listening to first activity so I have most of my systems set up with the "talkative" TGs locked out and only monitor for significant activity on the fireground channels.

One advantage the PSR500 does have is that the objects can be placed in "specific" locations in memory. This is good because if you have something locked out and you know where it is, you can jump right to it and listen or unlocked it. For example, AA Fire Dispatch is object #1 in my radio and Western District Police is object #30 --- I can jump right then with about 4 key presses and listen... can't do that with a 396...

Llwellyn

Thanks for your impressions, guys. I've got a line on a pre-tapped radio, so my imminent need for a 500/600 may be going away (trunker). However, they are definitely interesting and seem to do better on the digital stuff despite the sensitivity issues. I'll spend some time looking through the manuals and demo software and see what I come up with.

Dewey

troymail said:
One advantage the PSR500 does have is that the objects can be placed in "specific" locations in memory. This is good because if you have something locked out and you know where it is, you can jump right to it and listen or unlocked it. For example, AA Fire Dispatch is object #1 in my radio and Western District Police is object #30 --- I can jump right then with about 4 key presses and listen... can't do that with a 396...

While it can't be done in just four keypresses, if you don't know about Uniden's Func - 7 on the 396, it's a satisfactory workaround. Just press Func and [7], then use the scroll knob to go where you want pressing [Enter] each time as you drill down.

Dewey

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Dewey said:
While it can't be done in just four keypresses, if you don't know about Uniden's Func - 7 on the 396, it's a satisfactory workaround. Just press Func and [7], then use the scroll knob to go where you want pressing [Enter] each time as you drill down.

Dewey

Nice tip. I didn't know about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.