GRE 500 & 800 Software Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgnsucks

If anyone could give their recommendation or ideas on software that you have used. Or know of someone else using that would be the best for these scanners??

1. GRE 500 I am using PSR but I don't think it has logging. Would the Win500 or something else be better? ( It seems the Win500 is no longer supported)

2. GRE 800 is the software that comes with it the best bet or is there something else out there that someone has used that will work?

In general I like the logging along with ease of importing data, Lock-outs, Logging and Possibly recording in software products.

Just an observation the GRE 500 at least on APCO is a lot cleaner then the U396XT. This is not with any tweaking on my part. I am not flaming Uniden I have 5 of their scanners and they are what I started on just fyi there.

Thank you for any help in advance

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If memory serves, the software for the 800 is proprietary - so no one is likely to develop a third party solution for it.....I'll leave the comments for the OO scanners to the owners...Mike

TES

If anyone could give their recommendation or ideas on software that you have used. Or know of someone else using that would be the best for these scanners??

1. GRE 500 I am using PSR but I don't think it has logging. Would the Win500 or something else be better? ( It seems the Win500 is no longer supported)

2. GRE 800 is the software that comes with it the best bet or is there something else out there that someone has used that will work? . . . . . . .

I've been using Win 500 since the first release. It handles all of my logging and recording needs easily. Not sure about your "no longer supported" comment.

From what I've heard, GRE never released the I/O information for the PSR-800, making it difficult for software developers to write any alternate management programs.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
The only software for the 800 is the EZ Scan that came with the scanner. There are 3 programs available for the 400: Win500, ARC500, and PSREdit. All 3 offer free trials, but to continue using them, you have to purchase a license. My suggestion is to download all and see which you like the best. Everyone on here will have their opinions of each and may point out differences between the 3 programs. Personally I use ARC500.

With Whistler releasing the 310 and 500 series,the next in line would be the 800.
that being said the reasoning that GRE uses a proprietary app is due to the import
feature thats linked to radioreference,,thus the reason you cannot copy and paste
out of EZScan.
It would be good if whistler and RR cut this tie.but I dont see how they could.

No PC control,no software options..By far,to me its the 800s biggest weakness.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I highly doubt the web import feature is proprietary - it exists on lots of other software, including Uniden's Home Patrol which is similar to the 800 in that it imports the entire database. I suspect that the 2 new Uniden models coming out soon will also have this ability. If it were, these scanners could not load the database the way it does.

Likely as not it has to do with I/O functions or perhaps the memory structure, but whatever it is, I doubt GRE will release it anytime soon

Mike

pgnsucks

TES;2102121Not sure about your "no longer supported" comment. .[/QUOTE said:
I wrote that comment because I've read on the boards that the software writer is no longer doing any updates. At least if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for all the replies I have tried Arc so I'm gonna give the Win500 a shot. I also want to see it's memory usage in action.

So far Freescan uses (72,260k) PSR (6,082) both of them run together with no issues. It will be interesting to see how well the Win500 get's along with other scanning software running.

RonnieUSA

I wrote that comment because I've read on the boards that the software writer is no longer doing any updates. At least if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for all the replies I have tried Arc so I'm gonna give the Win500 a shot. I also want to see it's memory usage in action.

So far Freescan uses (72,260k) PSR (6,082) both of them run together with no issues. It will be interesting to see how well the Win500 get's along with other scanning software running.

Here is a screen shot of my usage for Win500.

Last edited:

pgnsucks

Here is ARC500 doing the same thing as Win500.

Thanks quite a difference between these software products
Arc500 19,180k
FreeScan 72,260k
PsrCtrl 6,028k
Win500 5,792k

I just need to find out about ProScan & the propritary GRE800 software (EzScan). I realize there would be some other variables but these memory footprints are quite interesting.

I'm just thinking once my pension checks start rolling in of building a properly size desktop to run up to 8 instances of various software products. I have 5 Uniden & 3 GRE that is why I am asking in case anyone was wondering.

I don't imagine there would be that much difference with logging or recording operations being run by the software products that offer them. However I could be wrong on that yet the Win500 offers around the same features yet appears be less taxing to a computer.

Thanks to all:D

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just to be clear - FreeScan is not designed to work with the Object Oriented scanners, as say Win500 is. Therefore comparing the 2 programs is statistically questionable, as the memory design is totally different. In addition there is additional functionality, such as FTO processing as well as the EZ Grab function, that either is not supported on the GRE/RS scanners or doesn't exist on the OO software at all. Adding more functions adds to the memory footprint, even if you figure some slick way to conserve memory in doing so.

It is an interesting figure about how much memory each uses, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

Mike

Last edited:

adcockfred

a little help please. when I first got my psr-800 and added a little more memory it started to fail, so I cleaned it out and stated again, but now I am back to the failing spot again. any suggestions on bumping up the sd card .

Status
Not open for further replies.