GRE-500 Support EDACS ESK Systems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

My brand spanking new GRE PSR-500 receiver arrived in the mail yesterday, and one of the most surprising things that I've found about this radios is it support tracking EDACS ESK systems automatically. Just program the system as a normal EDACS system and the radio auto detects the presence of the ESK Flag and decodes the control channel. While this doesn't allow decoding of EDACS ProVoice digital talkgroups, it does allow those of us that have local EDACS ESK systems to be able to monitor any analog traffic on those systems.

What a pleasant surprise!

I've got a lot more to dig into on this scanner and review, but I wanted to share this good news. :)

Warm regards,

Lindsay

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Way cool. I had heard rumors about this feature being available in that radio - great to hear that it is verified as true!

bezking

NIIIIIIIICE! Maybe the PSR-501 (?) will support ProVoice!

BTW, where did you get yours from Lindsay?

pogbobo

does this mean that the Florida folk can listen to the analog SLERS talk groups? if there are any lol

Michael-SATX

GREat news ~ being able to trunk track analog TG's :)

Nice Observation Lindsay, any small victory here in MA-COMs "No-Voice" land
is very welcome indeed ~ GREat news ~ being able to trunk track analog TG's :)
I take it that you hopefully saw this on both the Blue and the Gold EDACS LCN groups ?

Michael

btw ~ Makes me kind of wonder if some other GRE models do this ESK ignore thing ?
I would want to assume that both the PSR-500 and PSR-600 do this miracle ?
Too bad the PSR-300/400 ~ Pro-164/163 models don't also perform this magic ?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
jfab said:
What is the likely-hood of other brands(uniden, radio shack, ect)getting on board with this?
When they can match or exceed the ability to listen to customers.....possibly.

pyeman99

wayne_h said:
When they can match or exceed the ability to listen to customers.....possibly.
In the next upgrade/update ? next week ?,lets not get our hopes up.But would love that facility.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
does this mean that the Florida folk can listen to the analog SLERS talk groups? if there are any lol

Florida is using Extended Addressing which modifies the over-the-air protocol and make it incompatible with scanners.

The local MBTA has an Extended Addressing mixed Analog/ProVoice system as well as Cecil County. The MBTA system recently went active with real traffic. Some channels have consoles in analog with the mobiles replying in ProVoice. I will ask on my local board if someone could try trunktracking the MBTA system with the GRE-500 or GRE-600.

73 Eric

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Will this work?

blantonl said:
Folks,

My brand spanking new GRE PSR-500 receiver arrived in the mail yesterday, and one of the most surprising things that I've found about this radios is it support tracking EDACS ESK systems automatically. Just program the system as a normal EDACS system and the radio auto detects the presence of the ESK Flag and decodes the control channel. While this doesn't allow decoding of EDACS ProVoice digital talkgroups, it does allow those of us that have local EDACS ESK systems to be able to monitor any analog traffic on those systems.

What a pleasant surprise!

I've got a lot more to dig into on this scanner and review, but I wanted to share this good news. :)

Warm regards,

Lindsay

Will you have a look at RRDB in Nevada/clark county/ Nevada Test and Training and tell me if your new found feature will work on that system? How do I set it up in the 500? Narrow or Wide? Thanks in advance. Don.

buttaik

State of Florida' s Radio System

I live in Gainesville, FL. I have the PRO-106. I've been searching and found what has to be one of the state's control channels in the Gainesville area. To my knowledge there are no other users of EDACS systems in this area. I do not have the scanner with me but it identifies "S11" and a few other identifiers when it tracks the control channel (again the scanner is not with me). I do not know how EDACS systems work and assume they are not like a Motorola system where you only need a control channel to monitor radio traffic. Is there an easy way to identify which of the other channels in which I hear digital/encrypted radio traffic belong to the state's system? Like LTR frequencies, do the EDACS frequencies have to be entered in a certain order to track radio traffic? I know this system is not monitorable.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The State of Florida system is an EDACS ESK system with Extended Addressing functionality - which is different than the standard ESK EDACS protocol (or standard EDACS protocol for that matter). I suspect that any ESK or EDACS capable scanner today isn't going to be able to track this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.