GRE 500 vs. Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

I am courous. In the opinion of the members here in Colorado, witch works better on the state DTRS system?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Charles depends a lot on where you are operating and what you need.

The Pro-96/2096 series of radio's is excellent and proven and has a very good track record on the states DTRS system.

The PSR-500/600 series is a newer more full featured model but still works well on the DTRS system with the distinct advantage of being able to monitor 700MHz DTRS sites as as Thorton, Ft Lupton, Kiowa and rumor has it some of the new Pueblo County sites when they come on-line.

Another major advantage of the 500/600 radios is there ability to monitor and decode esk.

For me the bottom line is the Pro-96/2096 is the work horse and I have seven, excellent proven DTRS radios but I also have three 500/600 radios for the 700MHz sites on DTRS and for Denver in the future but I feel strongly they are more confusing radios for not only programming but also for monitoring and logging.

Personal opinion only, your results may vary.

Would you like to borrow a programmed PSR-500 to put it through your own trials?

Jim<

cstockmyer

First off :eek: 10 scanners total?!?! Jim I will ask again nicely, can we PLEASE see a picture of your bat cave??

I was just asking, maybe at some point I would like to buy a PSR 500. But for now I have a ton more to learn about my Pro 96. I just thought it might be nice to have a thread about witch was better for those who are about to buy one or the other. Maybe if you let Bill barrow your PSR 500 he will join us in the Digital ranks :).

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
cstockmyer said:
I am courous. In the opinion of the members here in Colorado, witch works better on the state DTRS system?

Motorola XTS5000 Portables and XTL mobile radios.

Phil.

RodStrong

scanlist said:
Motorola XTS5000 Portables and XTL mobile radios.

Phil.

Actually, a scanner can do much more than an actual tranceiver on the DTR system as far as general monitoring is concerned. If my interest was monitoring only, and I had to get rid of one, my XTS would go in the trash. DTR tranceivers absolutely suck for scanning purposes.

scanlist

Uh I was attempting to inject a bit of humor in that post.:twisted:

Phil.

Last edited:

scanlist

Actually I am a motosnob but don't tell anybody. :wink:

I failed at the humor attempt but he did ask:
witch works better on the state DTRS system?
EOT

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.