GRE 800 Garbled and Pro 197 fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

I have a GRE 500 and a Pro 197 scanner, In my area, Southeast Ohio they are broadcasting P25, ii reproadcast on on 800mhz . The Pro 197 receives broadcasts fine, but the GRE 500 is garbled, using the same software to program , Both have the updated firmware, GRE is fine one minute and garbled the next, the Pro 197 never does this, any suggestions.
I didn't think there was a difference in the Scanners,

ScannerSK

Have you tried swapping the antennas for a while to determine if that makes a difference?

Is the garbled sounding scanner a GRE 800 (as noted in the title) or a GRE 500 as noted in your message?

In a past GRE thread http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/86010-gre-psr-500-firmware-release-thread-3.html I recall reading where some claim they achieved better results by not using the latest update.

Where I live we are on a simulcast system so all the scanners sound garbled unfortunately.

Shawn

Last edited:

QDP2012

I have a GRE 500 and a Pro 197 scanner, In my area, Southeast Ohio they are broadcasting P25, ii reproadcast on on 800mhz . The Pro 197 receives broadcasts fine, but the GRE 500 is garbled, using the same software to program , Both have the updated firmware, GRE is fine one minute and garbled the next, the Pro 197 never does this, any suggestions.
I didn't think there was a difference in the Scanners,

You might not be using one of these adapters...but, just in case...another thread Pro 197 and 106 each receive differently (Post #7) mentions that the 90-degree elbow-shaped BNC connector/adapter (similar to this Radio Shack adapter), that sometimes gets used for strain-relief on the back of mobile units, like the Pro197, can go bad and significantly impact reception quality.

Just a thought,

dwayne0564

RE: gre 500 and pro 197

The GRE is the issue, the pro 197 is fine, tried to change antenna's no difference, Elbow, I have, even on GRE didn't matter either.

Status
Not open for further replies.