GRE 800 if a fantastic tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharsh

Hello,
I have been a radio enthusiast for a long time. Many transmitters and receivers have come and gone. When digital trunking started proliferating all my scanners where put away and I stayed on ham bands to fulfill the urge. GRE has a fine scanner here. I have had it for 3 days and it is spot on configured. I am monitoring just about everything I can for this area. At first I was worried it was a scanner for dummies model but I read posts here and went ahead and took the recommendation. The configuration of this scanners frequencies would have taken weeks to get into the last generation of devices I owned. And using the software to move and group freqs into scan lists is great. The reception is good. I have used about 7 different antennas from rubber duckies to yagis. The audio is clear. Battery life is awesome, I am using NiMH 2450 mAh batteries and they go and go. And the form factor, small and well built. I do wish it had a larger display but it is now sitting in the corner of the desk, display dark and humming along just pouring out traffic.
thanks for the guys that posted here that pushed me over the edge to buy one. IMHO the value of this scanner is a great one.
Tom

gordiebill

I think your post may have just swayed my decision. I've been teetering between the PSR 800 and the Uniden HomePatrol-1.

Did you look at the HP-1 at all? Just curious what your thought were.

Thanks for your post;
Gord

Ontario Canada

SCPD

QRT
The PSR800 is an excellent scanner.

The record feature is really cool. I too am considering buying one. I have played with my friends PSR800 at length and I really kinda like it.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
I am sitting here listening to a P25 system over 17 miles away and i live in a deep valley. I am using a radio shack 800mhz mounted on a short length of a antenna designed to be suctioned cupped to a window but hanging it on the wall in my bed room. I would like to try a yagi antenna but not sure of the right one to get. I too researched the HP1 and the 800 and feel i made the right decision. I like taking mine to emergency incidents or the city when i go as it is more like a WT and easy to put in the pocket or on your belt. I will probably have to get a base model if they ever come out with one as i really like this one and i was always a Uniden scanners owner.

i was useing a BC396XT and then got the GRE-800 I'm glad i did not get the bearcat because this one is GREAT and I'm also looking to buy the mobile type scanner when it comes out at the end of the year as i was told.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I've had my 800 for a couple of weeks now, and it definitely has become my "go to" scanner. The sensitivity of this scanner is amazing. Side by side with my PRO-106 (using identical antennas), it's picking up signals the 106 doesn't hear. One of the things that really frustrated me when I moved back to Illinois was I was unable to pick up a particular ham frequency that I was able to pick up when I was living in Indiana (18 miles further away, although part of it has to do with the building I'm living in). With the 800, I am able to listen to my favorite check-in net once again.

I too couldn't decide between the HP-1 and the 800. It all came down to price, and from where I was able to make the purchase, the 800 was a little cheaper.

I am, all-in-all, very satisfied with my 800. It is, by far, the best scanner I've owned to date.

tharsh

follow up

I did look at the Home Patrol. I think the old school hand held look and feel combined with the small form factor was what I liked. I like the USB charger interface. I have those on all my mobile devices now so I am down to a one charger. The software is mature and I took to it pretty readily. The scanner was up and running in under 3 hours. I have used and have quite of bit of Uniden stuff. Just went for this one. I have only had it four days and there have been two library updates. I think RR and GRE are doing a great job.

one note, I read about the face plate finish issue and damned if today after it getting a little warm my fingernail scratched the finish. Looks like I am going to go after it with acetone....ha

still no regrets. It must have about 30 duty hours already.......I will report on issues if they arise .

Tom

Reedster

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased my PSR-800 yesterday at Hamcom. The folks from GRE were there in full force promoting not only their scanners, but their new Alinco Radio partnership. They were very cool and helpful, and pushed me over the edge to go with the PSR-800. Interestingly, Uniden was not present at all...
Before I got my ham ticket a few years ago, I was mainly focused on scanning with the bcd-396, and I ended up selling it to support the ham-habit. I really missed the digital and trunking though, and am very happy to have that capability again.
So far, the 800 has been excellent, if not a little clunky in form. The reception, sound quality, and ease of use has really impressed me. As I learn the setup, which so far has been easy, I'll keep you all posted.

Kel

Just wondering what your SN starts with?I thought my faceplate issue was fixed at 4000 and up but I see it is starting to rub off again.

tharsh

serial number and faceplat issue

Mine is 39xx. i used goof off and it took less than 10 secs to have a crisp clean face plate. I like it better than the painted look

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.