GRE keeps on updating...what about you Uniden???

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
As the proud owner of a BCD996T and BCD396T, I'd like to see Uniden step up to the plate and offer some more features through firmware updates. I love my Unidens, but GRE is really starting to reel me in with NAC decode, user ID display on trunked systems, etc. C'mon Uniden...step up to the plate and go to bat.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Umm......Uniden just released a significant firmware update for the 396 and 996 about 3 months ago.

jpm

When you have a good solid radio there is no reason to update the firmware>>> BOTTOM LINE. And all my Unidens are great scanners. When you have find flaws with your electronics then you have to update firmware to keep the scanner running like the Unidens.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
When you have a good solid radio there is no reason to update the firmware>>> BOTTOM LINE. And all my Unidens are great scanners. When you have find flaws with your electronics then you have to update firmware to keep the scanner running like the Unidens.
Half of the scanners listed under your signature have needed updates since the were made. Updates to date...none. And the 796 still needs one it'll never get.

hoser147

If you read up on the GRE updates you can run it with different updates not necessarily the newest one..........it just gives you more options...........

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
When you have find flaws with your electronics then you have to update firmware to keep the scanner running like the Unidens.

Did you look at the feature list of this update? It's more a feature add-on than a flaw fix...

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
DonS wrote this below

Latest release of PSR-500/600 "CPU F1.5" Firmware has been released.

CPU Production Firmware Version 1.5 release notes:

- This is the user loadable version of the Factory 1.5 CPU firmware.
Will display as "uP Appl Ver:U1.5" after loading and is identical to
the factory "F1.5" load.

- Please use with DSP version 1.2 or higher, otherwise some features
may not operate properly

New features:

* Per FCC approval, changed 700 MHz frequency tunable range to:
764000000 MHz - 805996875 MHz
(all on 3.125 kHz steps)

* Changed 700 MHz ranges in Public Safety Search and Sweeper to:
764000000 MHz - 766996875 MHz
769000000 MHz - 775996875 MHz
794000000 MHz - 796996875 MHz
799000000 MHz - 805996875 MHz
(all on 3.125 kHz steps)

* Added "connect tone" display to M36 analyze mode, alternating
with other data (QQ% SID:xxxx Syy).

* Added "OmniLink" 6-char site name to M36 Analyze mode alternating
with other data (QQ% SID:xxxx Syy).

* Added "RadioIDAlert" item to FUNC+GLOB menu. If set, then we'll
show the private TGRP's alert when:
a. showing a group call.
b. showing the private TGRP's tag on line for for the radio ID.
c. private TGRP's "LED Color" is non-zero (the default 'off').
d. new menu item enabled.

Fixes / Enhancements:

* Fixed missing 'DG' display for digital trunked VCs (bug that
was introduced in F1.4).

* Fixed P25 CC analyze problem with system ID info (bug that was
introduced in F1.4).

* Added timeout to trunking analysis results in TUNE mode, so
spurious false detects (esp. Mot 3600 low-speed) won't cause
persistent display of trunking data.

* Fixed issue where occasionally, pressing MAN while in SCAN mode
would not go to the last active object.

* Fixed problem when multi-scanning some EDACS systems.

* Swapped Source vs Target Radio IDs in handling of EDACS
"I-Calls" per customer reports.

* Un-swap (version 1.4) source and destination radio IDs when showing a
Private Call Wild Card where the source ID was locked out.

* Fixed search modes possibly skipping a freq while paused, if
zeromatic is turned on. While waiting for unmute delay, we were
checking zeromatic even if paused.

* Added additional qualification to storing polled P25 NAC. We
only store it if:
the new NAC is non-zero, OR
we don't already have a NAC value, OR
the NAC value we already have is zero

Other:

For users that have VHF trunked systems which utilize 5 kHz
centers, the following changes were made:

* Allow 5 kHz steps between 138 MHz and 174 MHz. These are
enabled with a new menu item in FUNC+GLOB.
If not turned on, use the 'normal' steps.
If turned on, 5 kHz steps are used in ALL modes.
CONV objects created in one "mode" will tune based on the
"active mode" - that is, if you create a CONV object 138.005 MHz
with the feature enabled, the radio will tune to 138.000 MHz if
the the feature is not enabled (although 138.005 will be displayed)

* Changed default receive mode for 138 MHz to 144 MHz to AM if the new
"5 kHz" feature is disabled in the FUNC+GLOB menu (default).

* Changed default rx mode for 138 MHz to 144 MHz to FM, if the new
"5 kHz" feature is enabled in the FUNC+GLOB menu.

Don_Burke

As the proud owner of a BCD996T and BCD396T, I'd like to see Uniden step up to the plate and offer some more features through firmware updates. I love my Unidens, but GRE is really starting to reel me in with NAC decode, user ID display on trunked systems, etc. C'mon Uniden...step up to the plate and go to bat.
I asked them to limit the number of updates just to annoy you.

It appears to be working well beyond expectations.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Its almost like Uniden should create "fake" updates that do nothing..

People see update and think its better just because it has an update (without knowing the technical details).

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Maybe some of you need to actually READ what I originally posted...
e911god said:
...offer some more features through firmware updates

"Features" through firmware updates, not updates to fix bugs/flaws. Just like the GRE's, Unidens have had bugs that need firmware updates to fix. One example is motorboating on P25. But that is not what I'm asking Uniden to step up for. To quote rdale
rdale said:
It's more a feature add-on than a flaw fix...
This is what I'm talking about...

I'm asking for more features...like NAC decode, digital ID display, etc.

My Unidens perform fine for what they currently have. I'm saying theey need to step up and offer more in order to stay competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerk

Which update? The Uniden updates were bug fixes. Well, more like attempts at bug fixes.

Amen! Though those aren't bugs, they are features... my BCD396 has a unique uniden sound. But each firmware update promises it will be better than the next. Oh well, maybe the 2009 update will be better.

jerk

Its almost like Uniden should create "fake" updates that do nothing..

People see update and think its better just because it has an update (without knowing the technical details).

Maybe they should offer the "pay for features" updates that new firmware and serial number update was supposed to provide.

Firmware updates coming once a year that create and don't eliminate problems is slow even by Microsoft standards.

gregmoss

Amen! Though those aren't bugs, they are features... my BCD396 has a unique uniden sound. But each firmware update promises it will be better than the next. Oh well, maybe the 2009 update will be better.

Wow! 2009 darn it, thats a long wait for an firmware update for this out-dated scanner. You pay $500 plus shipping for this scanner, and this is the service you get. Why don't uniden just release a newwer scanner with up-to-date feautres that we like, or at least useful ones. This waiting for update stuff from uniden is getting really old. This scanner was made in 2005 and Uniden promises each firmware update will be better than the next. They hype you up, then disappoint you :(

Viper43

Actually the latest PSR "update" also has several "fixes" if you actually read the list of what is done,

V

Statevillian

I have heard that the sound quality of the 396....and 330 could be so much better but something internal is the issue, not the speaker itself. (A local tech whiz figured that out). I would have liked it louder and clearer on digital....like the GRE500 and old Pro96. My original firmware 396 seemed to sound louder and slightly better. But, I agree with the original poster. I have a gre 500 and I am always pulling out that cord to ADD new things and LEARN new options.....yes, the 396 is a good receiver that could be enhanced to be BETTER. Where do all these closed thinkers come from?..........

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Gre Keeps Customers On Their Toes!

Well, you can call them fixes, updates, or just plain new features. GRE seems to be keeping their customers interested and on their toes. At least "something " is coming out. Uniden threw us a few bones with little meat that is supposed to last us until God knows when. I have invested heavily in Uniden products as have many of you. Its not like Uniden products are 100% trouble free and so exciting that they can go long periods without the need for updates or new features. While I am not going to go on a Uniden boycott or anything, I am very unhappy with their lack of updates, fixes or new feature offerings. I hope this trend does not continue for long.

Manny

Last edited:

ch40n1k

An ESK upgrade sure would be nice for all of us in CO who are out of luck with one large department and about to be out of luck with another one. Rumors of vaporware are all I've seen ... rendering many of our 396/996's to the desk as paperweights.

Frankly, I've already made the switch and I won't be back. I know of several others that have made the same decision.

Last edited:

Viper43

An ESK upgrade sure would be nice for all of us in CO who are out of luck with one large department and about to be out of luck with another one. Rumors of vaporware are all I've seen ... rendering many of our 396/996's to the desk as paperweights.

lol, I bet if they went encrypted you want a decoder for that too and blame Uniden because they went encrypted and their radio won't recieve it.....If your so worried about it maybe you should have fought against the "ESK" system before it went into effect and made sure that the only system they went with was one YOUR scanner could pick up and scan properly..... more action, less whinning... vote out the people making the so called bad choices or get on the board in charge of the radio systems, go to public meetings on the system and voice your opinion.... if you don't do that then you get to live with the consequences, don't blame it on Uniden when YOU could have made a difference along the way. New radio systems do not "pop" up over night, it usually takes lots of meetings and 2-3 years to get to the building point, so you should have known back then what was in store and could have helped make changes.....

Enjoy your papwer weights....
V

Status
Not open for further replies.