GRE Leather Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
With regard to the LILKase, I pushed the case through itself so that it was inside out, then cut some of the access material off, which is what causes the scanner not to stand up steadily when it is inside of the case. With that done , both my 500 and 300 standup very well in the cases. For the 500, I also made a tiny mark on the case in the spot were the LED is behind the case. I then took the scanner out of the case and using a sharp exacto knife, cut a less than 1/8 inch square out of the case in the area were the LED would be. You will be amazed at the effect that it creates now when the LED is actively lit. It is now a brightly sufficient little light that shines through which I enjoy more than seeing the full size LED lit. Perhaps something simular will work in regards to the hard leather cases as well. When cutting away the access material from the LILKase, be careful not to cut into the thread of the seams, or , of course, you will open a hole in the seam. I was also careful not to cut " too close" to the thread.
Ken

Nasby

Great looking case but I gotta have one with the plastic cover. For some reason, my display and faceplate always end up being the first things to get scratched. And I take darn good care of my stuff too!

don333

Still on the subject of the Lilkase, several of the national craft shops ie; Michael's and A.C. Moore sell hand punches that will work for making extra holes in the case. The holes for the speaker are 1/8" and there is also one that will punch a rectangle which would probably work for the LED.

CbusRog

Premium Subscriber
More on LED visibility: a hand held, single-hole card punch could also be used to place a neat, semi-circle notch in a case. I'm slowly getting up the nerve to do that on a LilKase, then use a soldering iron to seal the edge of the cut to prevent the trim from fraying.

Revised: Ok, I just did the above and it didn't work out very well. The material is very tough, and a card punch won't do it. The card punch handles bent, then fell apart!. I had to use the punch portion with a hammer to get the job done. The trim material also melts very easily. It's ugly, but I can now see the LED.

Last edited:

skip21

Premium Subscriber
snjct2000 said:
Great looking case but I gotta have one with the plastic cover. For some reason, my display and faceplate always end up being the first things to get scratched. And I take darn good care of my stuff too!

I'd want one with a cover too, to keep the elements out.

CbusRog

Premium Subscriber
Nylon Case

The nylon case I ordered from Scanner Master arrived today. I chose the nylon case because I wanted a plastic window for further protection. (I had e-mailed Scanner Master to ask which PSR-500 cases had windows, and they replied that the nylon and soft leather cases did.) Furthermore, the soft leather case has a "fixed" belt clip. I'm not sure if that means a metal or plastic clip, or use of the OEM clip like the LilKase. I felt the nylon belt loop with snaps was a better choice. I would have preferred a swivel, but having a window took precedence.

It's padded and of solid construction. The fit is fairly tight; so tight in fact, I was worried I wouldn't be able to remove it. However, a solid push at the bottom with my thumb popped the scanner right out. There's even an grommeted air hole at the bottom to ease removal. There are also holes properly placed for the PC/IF and external power.

All and all, for $20, it's a decent buy. I feel that the scanner will be well protected, even from falls. The downside is that it is nylon. Nylon collects dirt, abrades, and starts to look ratty after prolonged use. If someone markets a hard leather case with a window and swivel, I'll be the first in line.

Addendum: The LED is visible, and it stands up on its own.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Watch out for scratching on the display when constantly inserting and removing the scanner from that case. My 246T display has taken some abuse with scratches with the nylon case. I never put on the clear covering that's been recommended by people here, so you may want to consider that. Looks good!

raisindot

sacravitae said:
With regard to the LILKase, I pushed the case through itself so that it was inside out, then cut some of the access material off, which is what causes the scanner not to stand up steadily when it is inside of the case. With that done , both my 500 and 300 standup very well in the cases. For the 500, I also made a tiny mark on the case in the spot were the LED is behind the case. I then took the scanner out of the case and using a sharp exacto knife, cut a less than 1/8 inch square out of the case in the area were the LED would be. You will be amazed at the effect that it creates now when the LED is actively lit. It is now a brightly sufficient little light that shines through which I enjoy more than seeing the full size LED lit. Perhaps something simular will work in regards to the hard leather cases as well. When cutting away the access material from the LILKase, be careful not to cut into the thread of the seams, or , of course, you will open a hole in the seam. I was also careful not to cut " too close" to the thread.
Ken

I just got my LiLKase, and am really bugged by the not-standing issue as well. Can you provide more details on exactly what "excess material" you cut out to get it to stand up? At the moment, I've just did an ugly solution of giving it a "wedgie" by scotch-taping the bump of extra material on the back so it "rides up." This lets it stand--although not all that confidently. I probably could return it and get the ScannerMaster vinyl case instead, but I like everything else about this case, so I guess I'll live with it.

Wow, between the scanner, the extra antenna, the case and the software, this hobby really adds up!

Suzie

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
Hey, Sure. I will be glad to try and help. You have to turn the case inside out , and you will see that there is quite a bit of excess material where the seams were sewn, especially at the bottom. You have to carefully trim some of the excess off, as close to the seam as possible .( I used a pair of sharp scisors to do this.) I would not cut any closer than about 1/16 th of an inch from the thread. If you look through the plastic front cover, you can see how there is a lot of excess material, all you are doing is turning the case inside out and trimming that off , without cutting into the thread at the seams. when this is done, the case takes on the shape of the scanner when it is inserted, and enables it to stand up straight. Good luck. The 1/8 th inch (or bigger)square hole cut out of the case, in front of the led also works very nicely, but you have to use something like a shark exacto knife to do it cleanly, and you should cut out the opening just below the rim. You do not want want to cut into the thread that runs around the top rim. I hope that this is clear enough. I need to take some time and learn how to post pictures at the forum here.
Ken

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
PSR-500 Case from Lilkase

raisindot said:
I just got my LiLKase, and am really bugged by the not-standing issue as well. Can you provide more details on exactly what "excess material" you cut out to get it to stand up? At the moment, I've just did an ugly solution of giving it a "wedgie" by scotch-taping the bump of extra material on the back so it "rides up." This lets it stand--although not all that confidently. I probably could return it and get the ScannerMaster vinyl case instead, but I like everything else about this case, so I guess I'll live with it.

Wow, between the scanner, the extra antenna, the case and the software, this hobby really adds up!

Suzie
Yes, it does. With regards to the excess material issue, I went about it a little differently. I use the Lilkase for my PRO-96. Through trial and error, I manipulated the seams and material, so that the excess material "sits" in the back and sides of the radio. There is enough "give" in the case which allows you to pinch the material and slide the excess up and around the radio. I should mention, I did this with the radio in the case right side out. It took a little doing, but once it sits and "molds" to the radio, it's not to bad if you have to take the radio out and put it back in if changing batteries. I should have my Lilkase for my BRAND NEW PSR-500 by Monday or Tuesday.

raisindot

sacravitae said:
Hey, Sure. I will be glad to try and help. You have to turn the case inside out , and you will see that there is quite a bit of excess material where the seams were sewn, especially at the bottom. You have to carefully trim some of the excess off, as close to the seam as possible .( I used a pair of sharp scisors to do this.) I would not cut any closer than about 1/16 th of an inch from the thread. If you look through the plastic front cover, you can see how there is a lot of excess material, all you are doing is turning the case inside out and trimming that off , without cutting into the thread at the seams. when this is done, the case takes on the shape of the scanner when it is inserted, and enables it to stand up straight. Good luck. The 1/8 th inch (or bigger)square hole cut out of the case, in front of the led also works very nicely, but you have to use something like a shark exacto knife to do it cleanly, and you should cut out the opening just below the rim. You do not want want to cut into the thread that runs around the top rim. I hope that this is clear enough. I need to take some time and learn how to post pictures at the forum here.
Ken

You, sir, are a genius. Did exactly what you said, and it solved the problem. Thanks!

Suzie

SCPD

QRT
I had case for my pro 96 ( lilKase) sent it back because it would not stand up & looks trashy the way it was made. etc I will NOT get another 1 from them either if they all are made that way

KC9NEG

Wow, I think the workmanship of the LilKase is great. I "trained" the seams as described above when my case was new, and now when I remove the radio they remain where I want them. No problem with the radio standing at all.

Todd/Indy
KC9NEG

wnjl

The Lilkase left a noticeable circular scratch for me right where it snaps over the top left corner of the back of the scanner. Since that was exactly the kind of thing I was aiming to avoid when deciding to purchase a case, I was none too pleased, lol. I am much more satisfied with the hard-leather case from Scannermaster. No plastic-covering is not a big deal to me, just having a can of air nearby to spray any dust out once in a while does the job.

Last edited:

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
Cool Raisindot. I'm glad you like it. I find it really makes the LILKase a pleasure to use. And Eric, That's very funny, LOL. The radio is not intended to be used in the case with it inside out. Once the procedure is completed, it is recommended that you return the case to the rightside out, before inserting the scanner. I guess it is fair to say that I left one step out of my detailed instructions, that may not be obvious to everyone. Thanks.
Ken

Last edited:

KC9NEG

Someone mentioned awhile back they had stuck an adhesive-back felt pad over the snap. That was a good idea which I did copy myself.

Todd/Indy
KC9NEG

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Led

sacravitae said:
Ken
Please post a picture of your case. On mine, it looks like the LED lines up with the fabric border at the top. Thanks.

al95

mikea7531 said:
Here's some pictures.

Personally, I like the case. I think it's rugged and will protect the scanner very well. I'm not too concerned about the lack of a clear plastic window, but I feel that this case and clip is rugged enough that it won't fall off of my belt.

Where did you buy this case?

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
emslt245 said:
Please post a picture of your case. On mine, it looks like the LED lines up with the fabric border at the top. Thanks.
I do not think that my chances are good for posting pictures of my case , as I am not familiar with that process. I do intend to try to learn for future use. I would also have to borrow the camera from a friend. I made my cut for the LED , starting right at the bottom of the border. The top horizontal line of the 1/8 inch square runs parallel to the bottom of the border, and is lined up in front of the LED. I do not reccommend cutting into the border itself. Good luck. The cases can be purchased at LIlKase.com
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.