GRE Pre Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghawkman56

All,
I have been reviewing past posts concerning the use of pre amps. The consensus appears that the best investment to improve reception is in an antenna as opposed to a pre amp. Unfortunately, I am constrained by only having the capability to mount an antenna in my attic. I currently have a ST4 base antenna mounted in my attic. Would I obtain improved reception by installing a GRE Super Amp Preamp or will this most likely createi additional distortions in my signals?
Thanks.

Last edited:

rwier

All,
I have been reviewing past posts concerning the use of pre amps. The consensus appears that the best investment to improve reception is in an antenna as opposed to a pre amp. Unfortunately, I am constrained by only having the capability to mount an antenna in my attic. I currently have a ST4 base antenna mounted in my attic. Would I obtain improved reception by installing a GRE Super Amp Preamp or will this most likely createi additional distortions in my signals?
Thanks.

I got one of these

Amazon.com: 4 PORT CABLE TV / HDTV / DIGITAL AMPLIFIER INTERNET MODEM SIGNAL BOOSTER INTERNET AMP: Electronics

to go between a simple antenna on my house roof and indoor scanners. This item gets power from an 18v transformer running off of house current. It made four scanners come to life at the same time on one antenna.

Tried it in my auto using an "inverter" to supply 120v to the adapter. Only one scanner on it at this time but more to come. This will now stay in the vehicle, and I will order 1 or 2 more of these preamps for the house.

The antenna on my vehicle is a

Amazon.com: SenComm-NMO Multi-Polarized 698-999MHz Mobile Antenna (NMO Mount): Electronics

(no mount included) which has really opened up the P-25 RWC for me. This antenna/preamp/scanner combination has "objectively" shown itself to be extremely superior to other methods (for me, and the RWC) via the "new" features of my HP-1e (used for the testing). I have already ordered, and received, two more of these "squat" turrets for the roof of my home.

I am finally getting to hear what I have been missing, lol.

Rob

rwier

Rob,
Thanks for the great information!
Gary

Also, someone may be interested in the following exchange I had with the source of the "booster":

Begin Exchange_______________________________________________________________________________

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:45:22 -0700
To: Shane <Support@PCTStore.com>
Cc: Robin Wier <rwier@concentric.net>
Subject: pct ma2 4p

Support,

I am using a "pct ma2 4p" between an antenna on my residential roof and a small bank of scanners indoors. The results are pleasantly overwhelming. The device comes with an adapter that outputs 15V 300mA from 120V. I can hear my Dodge Ram, outside in the carport, screaming for one of it's own.

I have an inverter that I have used in the truck to furnish a 120V AC outlet in the truck cab. This outlet has successfully powered an 18V AC laptop on many occasions.

Can I, should I, use said inverter to supply power to the adapter that came with the "pct ma2 4p"? If not, is there an adapter designed to furnish the needed 15V DC using the trucks 12V DC system? Can the "pct ma2 4p" be operated directly off of the truck's 12V DC system even if the result is slightly degraded due to the 3V drop in the DC voltage? Or, is there a different device, designed to operate off of the truck's 12V DC system directly, that is very similar in function to the "pct ma2 4p"?

Hopefully, the answer is not "no to all", lol.

Thanks for your time,

Rob

This could possibly work if you have an inverter. Lol I have not heard of anyone wanting to use are product in a truck, gladly would like to know if this turns out to be a success for you.

Jeff Brown
Tech Support
Channel Master
______________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Jeff,

My "pct ma2 4p", plugged into an inverter, which in turn was plugged into a 12 Volt auto accessory, gave, as well as I can tell, the same outstanding benefits as when used indoors. Four scanners babbling like monkeys, all from a single antenna.

I was able to use a testing device that rates reception strength from 1-10, and quality of the reception signal from 0%-100%, as measured at the scanner. I was able to test 9 mobile antennas with the same 4 scanner setup. Resulting reception strength appeared to increase by 70%-90%(2.0 became 3.7, 3.5 became 6.1, etc.). As to the reception quality, it usually never varies from 100%. With the "pct ma2 4p", a few of the antenna test results dropped to 95% (from 100%) intermittently.

Most noticeably, there were less drop outs, with many long transmissions completed without problems. I don't think the scanning community, for the most part, is aware of the possible uses of this device. They will be getting a report from me soon.

Thanks for your attention,

Rob

End
Exchange_______________________________________________________________________

Just a little back-and-forth that I thought may be of interest to someone.

Rob

K

kb0nly

I have been using a two port PCT drop amp for almost two years now on the scanners here, works great. I have a four port that distributes the cable and tv antenna signals around my house as well, these amps make a big difference! When switched to my antennas mounted on the house i can get 12 digital tv channels with the amp, only five without the amp, so the improvement is quite noticeable.

nightrider5020

Premium Subscriber
Rob,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try one of the items you suggested. It's a little cheaper than scanner pre-amps which don't always work as advertised.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.