GRE PSR-100 Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

High_Speed

Hey all. I just got a new PSR-100 a few days ago. So far, for the most part, I'm pleased with it. Just got a little question about its reception. I live in an apartment uptown, and I'm about 1 mile, maybe 1.5, from the county/city dispatch center. SO...I don't have any problems picking up most freqs in my area (zip 40741). However, I've noticed that when driving out and about away from the apartment, it doens't seem to pick up much at all. For example, last night I drove down the road and was about 3-4 miles from the dispatch center and could only faintly pickup anything. Now, my brother has an old Uniden Bearcat handheld with a rubber ducky antenna on it. not sure of the exact model, but it's a 10 channel, guessing around a 1995 model? Anyway, he lives about 10 miles out in the rural area of the county, and for some reason he can pick up just about any freq he wants, when my new GRE seems to have some serious problems picking the same freqs up. Also, I have an old uniden base (made in 1992 I beleive, it's a 128xlt) that seems to pick up quite nicely as well. Well anyway, last night I swung by the local radio shack and picked up one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032075.2032078.2032098&pg=2&parentPage=family

Anyway, it seemed to improve reception a little bit. At least enough to notice a difference. But still, I can sit the PSR100 on the counter next to the old uniden (128xlt) base and there are a few freqs that the uniden will pick up fine that the gre still can't bring in enough to make out. Does anybody know if this is just a crappy rs antenna anyway? Or know of a better antenna than this one and the stock that will help me out?

Thanks for any help, I'm trying to figure this out. Also, on the antenna above, it came with a little paper that said to extend the antenna to different lengths for various areas of the band. Tried that, doesn't seem to make much of a difference...

CStarr59

Generally a base will pull in signals better than a hand held unit. I have a psr-100 and it is very sensative and pulls in signals nice. I put on a diamond RH77CA antenna on it and it works way better. Generally driving around with a hand held does not give good reception unless you have a good antenna mounted on the vehicle. I also have the radio shack antenna that you purchased and it works good, but the diamond pulls in better still.

Status
Not open for further replies.