GRE PSR 300 reception help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlx21

Hey all, I have a GRE PSR-300 scanner with a 800mhz antenna from Radio Shack ( 800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com ). My reception while at home is pretty good cause im not moving around, but when I take it out and drive around the city, its horrible. Its has a lot of static! Sometimes I cant even make out what they're saying.

I am wondering what the issue is and if there is a better antenna to purchase? Im looking at this, is this good?
800 MHz 2.5db Gain Antenex Professional Portable Antenna

P.S. I am listening to only the San Francisco Fire Department. Only being in the city.

any help would be great, thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
That possibly might work. I'm not familiar with the GRE 300. If it has multi site like my pro 106 does, you might want to switch it to roam and keep the threshold as they are. What this does is picks up the best possible signal within the area you are at while driving,kinda of like a cell phone,when your out of its coverage area.:)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Inside a car, you're effectively placing a shield around the antenna, so your reception will be seriously degraded. You need to invest in a good mobile antenna to get the antenna outside the car. You will likely still have some noise, as 800 is very prone to reflections from buildings, going up/down hills, but it will be better.

If 800 is all you're interested in, a cellular phone antenna with the proper adapters will work very well. What else are you interested in hearing? More specifics will bring better recommendations for antennas. Just don't go too overboard with big antennas - GREs are sometimes prone to overloading, particularly in the VHF hi area. If you start hearing pagers and other signals where they don't belong, you can safely suspect this is what is happening. There are filters you can buy (PAR Electronics has them, for example) that can nip this problem in the bud

73 Mike

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I have both antennas, the 2.5db Gain Antenex and RS 800mhz antenna

Radio Shack 800mhz antenna is the clear winner in my book..FWIW

I agree with ka3jjz. A good cell antenna works great. They are pretty reasonable and easy to hook up.

Also since you apparently live in San Fransico, those roads that go up and down make reception tough sometimes.

RadioDaze

Are you monitoring a trunked system? I have a problem around here that seems similar to what you describe. When I mobile around, sometimes I get some hum/static sounds covering the signals. But when I put ON the attenuator, it clears up. It seems that the less than perfect selectivity of the GRE combined with the hot sensitivity is causing control channels to bleed over when the transmission lands on an adjacent channel. Next time it happens, try the attenuator trick to see if it helps. Otherwise, the guys' previous suggestions should be helpful.

adlx21

That possibly might work. I'm not familiar with the GRE 300. If it has multi site like my pro 106 does, you might want to switch it to roam and keep the threshold as they are. What this does is picks up the best possible signal within the area you are at while driving,kinda of like a cell phone,when your out of its coverage area.:)

doesnt seem like i have that function on the scanner. i am new. unless i missed it on the manual. i dnt see it.. =\

adlx21

Inside a car, you're effectively placing a shield around the antenna, so your reception will be seriously degraded. You need to invest in a good mobile antenna to get the antenna outside the car. You will likely still have some noise, as 800 is very prone to reflections from buildings, going up/down hills, but it will be better.

If 800 is all you're interested in, a cellular phone antenna with the proper adapters will work very well. What else are you interested in hearing? More specifics will bring better recommendations for antennas. Just don't go too overboard with big antennas - GREs are sometimes prone to overloading, particularly in the VHF hi area. If you start hearing pagers and other signals where they don't belong, you can safely suspect this is what is happening. There are filters you can buy (PAR Electronics has them, for example) that can nip this problem in the bud

73 Mike

im not too sure about having the antenna stick out the car. lol..
IM only listening to Sf fire department (trunking system)

thanks

adlx21

Are you monitoring a trunked system? I have a problem around here that seems similar to what you describe. When I mobile around, sometimes I get some hum/static sounds covering the signals. But when I put ON the attenuator, it clears up. It seems that the less than perfect selectivity of the GRE combined with the hot sensitivity is causing control channels to bleed over when the transmission lands on an adjacent channel. Next time it happens, try the attenuator trick to see if it helps. Otherwise, the guys' previous suggestions should be helpful.

trunked system, yes.
what is this attenuator trick? i am not familiar with it.

adlx21

pressing Att next to #4 didnt help.

Any other solution beside having an antenna sticking out your car? When you guys say a cellular phone antenna...can this be inside the car?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.