Gre psr 310 little red light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camo1025

I do not own a psr 310 but plan to in the very near future. In the photo's I have seen of the 310 it looks really awsome, I have read the manual in pdf form and watched videos on youtube...but I have never seen any information on the little red light between the priority button and the weather button. Can someone please tell me the function of that little red thing that sort of resembles and eye? Thank you in advance

eagleswings01

Hi Camo1025,

Welcome to RR! The 310 is an excellent scanner choice and I think you'll be pretty happy with it. I love mine!

What looks like a little red light ("resembles an eye") is actually the Weather/Skywarn indicator which is activated by pressing FUNC + WX. Here is an explanation of the keypad which might be helpful.

Also, I've created a couple of short videos about the PSR-310 which might be of assistance once you get your scanner. I plan on putting more up pretty soon.

In the mean time, this is a great thread about the 310 which will give you lots more information as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have - we're here to help!

Mike

camo1025

Thanks Mike for all the info and good words and welcomes to RR. Its really an awsome site but will take time to get through it. I like the markscanners site that you linked for me, that explained perfectly what that Weather/Skywarn indicator is. That is a very imformative site that I will comb over when I have a bit more time.

I am also interested in listening to aircraft as I live very close to an airbase that is used both for civialian and military use. It will be interesting to find out what is going on up there. There are a couple of C-130's that make daily flights in and around our city for flight time it seems, not sure if I will be able to monitor them with the 310 but all the same it will be fun listening to what I can hear. Thanks again Mike, I really appreciate your response to my post. Keith

eagleswings01

Hi Keith,

You are very welcome! Believe me, the learning curve and all of this information seemed very difficult at first. Thanks to the great folks here on RR, and several hours invested in reading AND re-reading the 310 "Easier to Read" manual I linked above, it has all finally come together to make things enjoyable.

Where are you located? I'm near Peterson AFB (Colorado Springs) where they fly C130's and I have relatives in Cheyenne where the Wyoming Air National Guard also flies C130's. I can hear them just fine in both cities so I imagine you'll pick them up as well. In fact, in the next day or two I'll be uploading a video of some 130's taking off from KCYS with ATC running in the background.

The stock antenna does seem to be a little weak at times, so I've asked for this antenna for Christmas. It gets great reviews from other 310 users!

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'll help in any way I can.

Mike

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I have a question, if I may.

I recently purchased a 310 from a RR member and am looking forward to putting it through it paces. What I'm wondering is...will the older model RS 20-047 USB Cable work with the 310? Hope so, 'cuz I don't have any extra money after my 310 purchase.

Thanks.

:)

camo1025

My location

Hi Mike,

My location is Niagara Falls, NY and I live about an 1/8 mile from Niagara Falls Airbase. Last September right after labor day they had a great airshow that I watched in my back yard with friends having a barbeque. The Blue Angels flew right over my back yard many times and it was really exciting for our friends too. Thats what made me think of wishing I had a nice handheld scanner that I could listen to what they were saying. So with that I have been looking at scanners ever since but have yet to buy one. I am like you with a budget and have about 200 bucks to spend. I did look at the bc346xt also but it doesnt have the 237mhz bad for air like the 310 does so thats what made up my mind to purchase the 310. Also we have 2 C130's flying all day everyday around our house..curious to what they are talking about up there. Alot of civilian aircraft coming and going also.

I am still wrestling with a few other accessories like which software I will use, either Win500 or ARC310, they are both recommened but not sure which one is best. Also I will be purchasing the cable but I find they are quite pricey, so if I buy the scanner, cable, software, and rechargeable batteries with shipping I will be past my budget. Thats ok..just need another week to skim off the top of next paycheck hi. Anyway your opinions on the software are very much appreciated.

I am having shoulder surgery Dec. 6th and will be layed up for a few days...I cant think of anything better to occupy my boredom than a new 310. I better get going on the purchase or I will be paying the bigger expense for the shipping to get it here on time.

Keith

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yes, the 20-047 USB cable will work just fine with the 310/410. Use it without the pigtail adapter.

eagleswings01

Hi Keith,

Nice location, so close to the air base! Hearing performance teams is always a blast - I've heard the Thunderbirds a few times and it is always a treat.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd suggest buying the 310 ($150 right now) and getting familiar with it. You can always add the cable and software later on when money won't be an issue. Also, programming by hand will force you to get comfortable with your scanner.

I use an Apple computer, so unless I wanted to run parallel systems for Windows (which I don't want to do), I have no options for software. As a result, I've programmed everything by hand and learned quite a lot!

As for the rechargeable batteries, they are definitely a good idea but not a necessity at first. When scanning at home I use the included power adapter so I never waste batteries. When I'm out plane spotting, I'm on battery power and so far the energy usage has been very good. So, I don't have rechargeable batteries yet, but in the past few months I have only used two sets of batteries.

Hope your surgery goes well - a new 310 is just the ticket to recovery! This is the cheapest I have found it including free shipping. I dealt with "Rick C" when I ordered and had a great experience.

Good luck!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.