GRE PSR-400 + Antenna Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guano-

Been lurking this forum for weeks now, my head is throbbing, so much information. Ok, so I am going to get the Gre PSR-400 because of the price and the various features. I spend most of my time in the basement and cannot get great reception with my Uniden BC-50XL (yes I know it's older than dirt - but it works!). I want great reception with the Gre PSR-400, so I need help setting up a antenna. I need an antenna that I can set up outside - I know where I am going to put it and in order to run a cable from there to the scanner I would need about 150ft of cable. Pretty much, I need help to set this all up.

So my questions are:
What cable do I need - anyone have a link on a 150ft+ cable?
What is a good outside antenna for under $100?
What cable converters (if any) do I need to connect the Scanner to the Antenna?
Do I need a power source for the antenna to work?

I've been listening to the scanner for a while now - first got started a long time ago when I would visit my grandpa and listen to his scanner (now mine). It was just a fun thing to do, but now I want to step it up to a hobby! Can you help me? Thanks!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
What cable do I need - anyone have a link on a 150ft+ cable?
150 feet is quite the distance to run a coax, but that's what I am doing to get the signal to one room in my house. The dictating factor of coax (aside from overall length) is the highest frequency you want to receive. I'll assume you want to receive 800MHz (or higher). Most people use LMR-400, I am using something similar AIR-802. You could use larger coax, such as LMR-600, but it is more difficult to work with.

What is a good outside antenna for under $100?
Unless you want something directional, or tuned for a specific band, this is a good general purpose omni-directional scanner antenna.

What cable converters (if any) do I need to connect the Scanner to the Antenna?
The retailers I have provided links for have connectors for their cables. You'll need an N connector for the antenna end. I am using a BNC on the scanner end with an FM broadcast filter inline and then a short length of high quality RG-6. The LMR or AIR coax is not very flexible and I use the RG-6 to ease things on the radio end a little.

Do I need a power source for the antenna to work?
No.

Guano-

Awesome this is perfect, thanks! If anyone wants to post what they use, please do!

. You could use larger coax, such as LMR-600, but it is more difficult to work with.
How so? What is the difference between 400 and 600?

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between 400 and 600?
600 is bigger, more expensive and has less loss. The difference in loss vs cost & difficulty may not make it worth it. The factors that you'd consider are length of the coax run and the highest frequency you want to receive. From there use a loss calculator to see the difference and decide. Plus if the signals you are receiving are "local", it is likely not worth it. If you're trying to get some distant signals, that's another matter.

Guano-

Thanks, seems like a lot of money that would have to be invested. Anyone have inexpensive methods?

Should I go with the GRE PSR400 or should I move up to the digital scanners. Here is a noob question, do they make Digital/analog scanners?

SAR923

There's no such thing as inexpensive and low loss. :) The best answer I can give you that RG-8 from Walmart is pretty good quality and has the least amount of loss per dollar spent. 150 feet worth, however, is not going to work very well. Why do you need such a long cable run? You really need to find a way to cut down on the cable run. I'm assuming you don't have a 100' tower, so you need to move the antenna closer to the entry point to your shack.

All digital scanners also pick up analog. No analog scanner will decode digital.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, seems like a lot of money that would have to be invested. Anyone have inexpensive methods?
If you're not listening to UHF, or can shorten your cable run, you can get away with cheaper cable. You get what you pay for.

Should I go with the GRE PSR400 or should I move up to the digital scanners. Here is a noob question, do they make Digital/analog scanners?
The PSR-500 is the digital scanner most closely related to the PSR-400.

We don't know where you are or what you want to monitor. That makes a HUGE difference in being able to suggest what scanner you "need" and perhaps antenna system as well. It is really helpful to fill out your location information in your profile. If there's a specific agency or system you want to monitor, a link to it in our DB also helps.

n5ims

I think that you're asking the question "Do I need both a digital scanner for digital signals and an analog scanner for those that are still analog?". If this is correct, then you're in for some good news. All of the current digital scanners (e.g. GRE PSR 600) will handle the normal analog modes their lower end cousins do (e.g. GRE PSR 400) as well as adding the P25 digital modes. So the GRE PSR 600 basically does everything that the GRE PSR 400 does, plus it will handle the digital modes.

From the RR WIKI, supported "Trunk Tracking" modes state the PSR 400 will do "Analog Motorola,EDACS,LTR" while the PSR 600 will do "[Analog] Motorola,EDACS,LTR, [Digital] P25 NAC" (the analog and digital tags were added to the PSR 600 to clarify although this isn't specified in the WIKI).

Guano-

Why do you need such a long cable run? You really need to find a way to cut down on the cable run. I'm assuming you don't have a 100' tower, so you need to move the antenna closer to the entry point to your shack.

My work room is in the basement. From this room to the nearest window is about 50 feet (threw the wall). From there it is another 50 feet to the place where I can mount it. So I guess I would only need 100, I just wanted slack in case I need to mount elsewhere.

We don't know where you are or what you want to monitor. That makes a HUGE difference in being able to suggest what scanner you "need" and perhaps antenna system as well. It is really helpful to fill out your location information in your profile. If there's a specific agency or system you want to monitor, a link to it in our DB also helps.

St. Louis County - Jefferson County Missouri. Police and Fire. Most are Analog - however I have heard rumors a few might switch to digital within the next year.
Jefferson County, Missouri (MO) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
St. Louis County, Missouri (MO) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Glad to know that digital scanners will also pick up analog. I would hate to invest money into something that might become obsolete in my area within the next few years.

SAR923

You don't want even one foot more of coax than you absolutely need. The difference between a 100 foot and a 150 foot coax run is about half your signal strength. This alone can turn a good antenna and radio into a mediocre performer. In addition, extra coax coiled up can have weird effects on how the coax works, and may reduce your signal strength even further. Try to measure how much coax you'll really need and add a five foot fudge factor. You'll be far better off with the shorter coax, and you'll save some monay too. :)

Guano-

You don't want even one foot more of coax than you absolutely need. The difference between a 100 foot and a 150 foot coax run is about half your signal strength. This alone can turn a good antenna and radio into a mediocre performer. In addition, extra coax coiled up can have weird effects on how the coax works, and may reduce your signal strength even further. Try to measure how much coax you'll really need and add a five foot fudge factor. You'll be far better off with the shorter coax, and you'll save some monay too. :)

Thanks will do - I might be able to get away with just running it to the window and mounting it there, instead of running it another 25-50 feet to the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.