GRE PSR-500/600 discontinued??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I was afraid they were going to discontinue them without new models. The PSR-800 may have Phase II support. That will probably be my new purchase in a month or so.

Ah gotcha, I misunderstood your post.

The PSR-800 supports X2-TDMA, but it was recently reported that it does not yet support Phase II TDMA. Now I guess we wait to see what GRE's response is, whether or not it's a simple firmware update issue.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Interesting that GRECOM would want to discontinue the PSR-500 and PSR-600 if GRECOM isn't going to make something better. I wonder what kind of features would be in a new type of scanner should GRECOM decide to make one. We'll have to wait for electronic shows to see what kind of new scanner could be coming from the GRECOM factory.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Interesting that GRECOM would want to discontinue the PSR-500 and PSR-600 if GRECOM isn't going to make something better. I wonder what kind of features would be in a new type of scanner should GRECOM decide to make one. We'll have to wait for electronic shows to see what kind of new scanner could be coming from the GRECOM factory.

I don't see where they ever said they wanted to discontinue them!

The last post about them just said they ran low on stock due to good sales.
It looks like the suppliers may have spread misinformation if what Raj told cpunut is true. I'd imagine it is true as Raj has always been an accurate source of info from within GRE judging by older posts in this forum.
Maybe the Canadian suppliers are dropping them as the OP appears to also be in Canada from his screen name and location.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No offense to torontokris, but if Raj says they are not discontinued, then they are not discontinued. Period, end of story.

Sound like torontokris got some bad information from whatever distributor he spoke to, and passed it on prematurely, getting some people riled up for no reason. Like he said, he was just guessing. Even the best of us guess wrong with bad info from time to time.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Chauffeur6 said:
No offense to torontokris, but if Raj says they are not discontinued, then they are not discontinued. Period, end of story.

Sound like torontokris got some bad information from whatever distributor he spoke to, and passed it on prematurely, getting some people riled up for no reason. Like he said, he was just guessing. Even the best of us guess wrong with bad info from time to time.

Adding to the (mostly) guesses being tossed about:

1) Since torontokris is in Canada, maybe the 500c/600c is being discontinued.

2) If the above is accurate, Raj might have only been commenting on the 500/600, and not the 500c/600c.

3) The distributor torontokris has been buying from might be getting away from those models. (For those that don't know, he is a dealer, so he purchases from different channels than most of us.)

4) Maybe this is one big misunderstanding, on many people's parts?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
This was from the US distributor about the 500/600 not the Canadian version (not that there really is any difference other then what bandplan its set to when you first turn it on).

Its VERY possible that the stock is super low and will be refreshed in "a month or two".

It was only a rumour, as such rumours are never 100% and can get changed.

I added the ?? because it was not confirmed... It was more a question. Im NOT GRE nor am I paid to announce discontinued models.

But...

IF a huge company were going to discontinue a model would GRE really tell a single customer the breaking news via an supprt email? Why let the cat out of the bag that way.

Also let all the current stock get sold.. if you announce a new model then the stores that sell yoru product will be upset because they wont be able to sell the remaining stock.

I too an hoping for a 510/610 but maybe wait till TDMA is confirmed 100% working then release the model.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
No offense to Chauffeur6 but what RAJ may say on behalf of GRE is NOT the be all end all.

Yes your 100% right Chauffeur6... RAJ works for GRE and I do not.

I did not talk to RAJ before posting. Next time I will check with him when hearing a rumour. Ill send GRE an email as well.

On the other hand I dont think RAJ will be giving out GRE inside information via email (and making GRE's large suppliers/distributors/stores mad) because one person on radioreference sent in a email.

Email RAJ and ask him what future models GRE has in mind, I dont think he will be telling you everything he knows/has planned/working on for future models.

So just because RAJ says so doesnt necessarly make it the period end of story! As a GRE employee im sure he is obligated to give the OFFICIAL GRE COMMENT, no matter what the question.

That being said they ARENT discontinued according to GRE... I was simply asking if anybody heard that rumour as well. And the official answer is they are not discontinued

So we can lock this thread up
I dont want to RILE anybody else up.

Last edited:

Ensnared

BNC Module

I don't really see how that is "good news". Those scanners are over 4 years old at this point. Take a look at the 310/410 and you'll see that they are a nice improvement to the older style GRE scanners. Certainly the 500/600 could benefit from the larger LCD, bold text and other updates the 310/410 feature. Also wouldn't it be nice to have a 510/610 that support P25 Phase II TDMA?

I see it as unfortunate news, those models should've been refreshed by now, as the 300/400 were nearly a year ago.

I hope GRE fixes the design of the BNC module since it is my understanding the same one is installed in the PSR 800.

Otherwise, I will patiently wait & hope the new generation of scanner will handle some of the systems currently out of reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.