GRE PSR-500: Optimum settings for RWC/TRWC reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

I was wondering if anyone has found the optimum settings for a GRE PSR-500, for monitoring the RWC & TOPAZ RWC?

I program by hand, as I don't have a useable computer, so if you can translate software settings to manual settings, it'd be appreciated.

I also need to update the firmware for my '500. I haven't done so since I bought it. But, again, I don't own a computer with which to do this.

One thing I have noticed is, my reception of Simulcast G is better when I first turn the scanner on, then degrades, apparantly as it warms up?

I've also noticed, that when searching through the 700 MHz band, that conventional reception of the RWC seems slightly better when tuned slightly off frequency, to the high side. For example, 769.121875 is slightly better than the actual frequency of 769.121250. I'm not sure why this would be, but I have the NARROW FM setting set to NO under the expert settings for the scanlists that hold RWC systems.

I use the 800 MHz duckie from RS as my primary antenna.

John
Peoria

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Daunting Task

If I were you, I would find a friend who can upgrade your radio and/or clone your radio. Since a PSR-500 is a computer-dependent radio, I cannot fathom attempting to manually program a multi-site radio system. When I reviewed the various talk groups on the radio systems you mentioned, there are a great deal of encrypted talk groups.

When you program a multi-site radio system, it is very important to program all of the towers that you think you're going to encounter. You can find these by going to to radio system and clicking on RR locations near the system frequencies. It should bring up a map showing the various sites.

KB7MIB

I've been programming by hand for years lol I know which TG's are clear and which are encrypted, and only program in the clear ones. Most of the simulcast sites are city-specific, with the IR's having wide-area coverage. But not every TG is carried on every simulcast, or IR, so it's not as difficult as you may think.

I was just wondering if anyone who has the '500 or equivalent has found some optimum settings that I could try out, and if anyone would be willing to let me upgrade the firmware via their computer.

John
Peoria

tipster67

Having a ****ty week here... But I would be willing to help ya the following week.. I am in North Phoenix just off of Bell Road but I can travel with my laptop. Five minutes in a parking lot and I can do all you need.. I will have to find the Latest GRE firmware... I never saved the old files but I also didn't think GRE was going away :)

KB7MIB

I'm off Monday's & Tuesday's. I'm currently working 9-5 the rest of the week. Maybe we can arrange to meet somewhere in the Arrowhead area some evening? Barnes and Noble at 77th and Bell perhaps, or another location a little farther east if you prefer.

Check the GRE forum, I believe one of the members has the link posted. He also has it posted in a Yahoo group, but I'd need to get on a computer to find the link in my email.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

I would like to thank the employees at Ham Radio Outlet - Phoenix for allowing me to use their in store computer to update my '500's CPU and DSP versions. That was very gracious of them, and it was greatly appreciated.

I also bought a Lido cup holder mount for my scanner :)

Back to my original question: Has anyone with a 500/600 found the optimum settings for monitoring the RWC and TRWC systems?

Again, I program by hand, so if you use one of the software programs, if you can translate the software settings to the manual settings, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.