GRE PSR-500 Scanner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelh055

Premium Subscriber
I recently got a new GRE PSR-500 Scanner and I am not too sure on how to program it so I can hear whats going on in the area I live in Cuyahoga County Ohio. Also I have a friend who is a police officer in parma and I would like to be able to scan and hear whats going on in that city but I am unsure on how to set up my scanner to scan that city. Any help would be appreciated!

budevans

Michaelh055,

The easiest way to program/setup the PSR-500 is to use a software program on your computer. There is a good selection of software available. Some let you try them for free for a 30 day trial period.

The software that I use Win500 is from Starrsoft.com. See the link below.

Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners

I find it easy to use, plus it can download any system (such as Parma's) directly from the Radio Reference Database.

I hope this helps.

Swipesy

I use both Starrsoft Win500 and also PSREdit500 to program my PSR500. Both softwares have a few features unique to their own and as Bud said they both can be tried for free for 30 days.

Download PSREdit500

John

Michaelh055

Premium Subscriber
Okay I have tried to use the software but when I plug the scanner into the usb it doesn't show up or says error on the computer. I have also tried downloading the drivers but I haven't been able to get it to work

budevans

Okay I have tried to use the software but when I plug the scanner into the usb it doesn't show up or says error on the computer. I have also tried downloading the drivers but I haven't been able to get it to work

Michael,

To help you trouble shoot your issue, you'll need to provide the following info.

Your computers O/S (XP 32 or 64 bit, Win 7 32 or 64 bit).

What version driver is being reported? Look this up in the Windows Device Manager.

You need to check the following two devices:

Ports - USB Serial Port

Universal Serial Bus controllers - USB Serial Converter

The following is what my computer is showing:

USB Driver:

Provider: FTDI

Date: 4/10/2012

Version: 2.8.24.0

If you aren't seeing this driver version you can download it from the following link.

Virtual COM Port Drivers

Once you've updated or confirmed the driver is up to date you should be able to use the GRE USB Cable with WIN500 and your GRE PSR-500.

Note: if you do an update, do a shut down and restart and go back into Device Manager to make sure the driver update has taken place properly for both devices.

Now plug in the GRE USB Cable to the PC.
Next (with the scanner turned off) plug in the mini stereo cable to the scanner (make sure it's fully seated).
Start WIN500 software.
Turn on your scanner.
From the WIN500 software click on Scanner - Download from Scanner.

The WIN500 software should automatically recognize the GRE USB Cable.

If everything is working, you should see your scanner settings being dowloaded to WIN500.

Give it a try and let me know if it works.

Swipesy

Bitdefender is flagging that site as a malware site..... not sure why....

Clearly NOT a malware site. The only reason that I can think of that Bitdefender might flag the site would be due to possibly limited number of hits. Norton Internet Security gives the site a clean review.

Status
Not open for further replies.