GRE PSR-500 Scanner??

Status
Not open for further replies.

akuser47

Hello, I am new here and glad to have found this site. There is a wealth of info here that is hard to compare to simple reviews on vender sites. So my first post is here. I am looking at getting a GRE PSR-500 Scanner, and curious as to how that sounds to all you veterans out there I am in a county that is I am sure gigital for the most part. I will be getting it preprogrammed for my county and from what I have read this is the way to go for a novice to enjoy this hobby. Am I wrong I like that it's portable handheld and overall reviews seem to be very good for this as long as it's preprogrammed. What do you'll think I am clay ready to be moulded into this hobby, any help will be good thank you. I grew up with a grandfather that had an old base model of some kind me and him use to listen to. So what software/cable(USB) should I get, what kind of antenna, carry case. all the goods for this or another setup that is better

Last edited:

eyes00only

Welcome to the site and hobby. I've been in and out of the hobby for about 35 years. The PSR 500 scanner is the best in my opinion. Radio Shack sells a scanner that has the same insides and is made by GRE. I like the looks and speaker placement on the PSR. It's not impossible to program manually, but the free trial of Win500 is not only easy but fun. My favorite thing is to set up and name things the way I want them. I assure you that the $30 for Win 500 software is a great investment. The people on this website are also very nice and helpful. Have fun.

eyes00only

The PSR comes with the cable and I think the Radio Shack one does not. Radio Shack has a rubber duckie that seems to work better than the stock one for about $15. Scanner Master has nice cases but they are expensive. Absolutley try Win500 for the free trial and I'm sure you will love it. There is a special forum on this site for Win500 too.

JK

akuser47

GRE PSR-500 scanner owners?

I am still working on getting this. I am wanting to see how many others like this unit. Pros and Cons??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let me add some fuel to the fire, then... (note that anything in blue is a link)

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

This will give you a good overview of the various pros/cons insofar as operating the scanner and some gotchas to watch out for. If anyone spots something missing, please feel free to add it. That's what the FAQ is for.

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

This article describes, in some detail, some hints/kinks when loading a USB driver and some ways to diagnose the error. Some links to updated drivers (very important to have) are also found here.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

One of our recently-passed members wrote a very definitive guide as to how to use Win500 using the RR import to help program your scanner...and finally, since he also mentions having a premium subscription to get data from our database...

Premium Subscription Information Page

You may even find someone in our Ohio forum that can send you a file to play with. That's as good a way to start learning as any

Note that I am not a GRE owner...just interested in pointing you to information you can read yourself.

73 Mike

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am new here and glad to have found this site. There is a wealth of info here that is hard to compare to simple reviews on vender sites. So my first post is here. I am looking at getting a GRE PSR-500 Scanner, and curious as to how that sounds to all you veterans out there I am in a county that is I am sure gigital for the most part. I will be getting it preprogrammed for my county and from what I have read this is the way to go for a novice to enjoy this hobby. Am I wrong I like that it's portable handheld and overall reviews seem to be very good for this as long as it's preprogrammed. What do you'll think I am clay ready to be moulded into this hobby, any help will be good thank you. I grew up with a grandfather that had an old base model of some kind me and him use to listen to. So what software/cable(USB) should I get, what kind of antenna, carry case. all the goods for this or another setup that is better

I have both the GRE 500 and the Uniden 396XT. After using them both, in my opinion, the Uniden does much better on conventional frequencies and is equal to the GRE 500 on digital systems.

akuser47

Let me add some fuel to the fire, then... (note that anything in blue is a link)

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

This will give you a good overview of the various pros/cons insofar as operating the scanner and some gotchas to watch out for. If anyone spots something missing, please feel free to add it. That's what the FAQ is for.

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

This article describes, in some detail, some hints/kinks when loading a USB driver and some ways to diagnose the error. Some links to updated drivers (very important to have) are also found here.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

One of our recently-passed members wrote a very definitive guide as to how to use Win500 using the RR import to help program your scanner...and finally, since he also mentions having a premium subscription to get data from our database...

Premium Subscription Information Page

You may even find someone in our Ohio forum that can send you a file to play with. That's as good a way to start learning as any

Note that I am not a GRE owner...just interested in pointing you to information you can read yourself.

73 Mike

Thanks for the links.

rilke67

Premium Subscriber
I have only been in the hobby for a little over a year. I got the GRE500 and am very happy with it. I didn't get it programmed as I thought the charge was kind of high for what you can do in minutes with WIN500. I got WIN500 and programmed my scanner with what I wanted. The best way to learn is to do it your self or at least give it a shot and if you run into troubles there is always help here on RR.

akuser47

I have only been in the hobby for a little over a year. I got the GRE500 and am very happy with it. I didn't get it programmed as I thought the charge was kind of high for what you can do in minutes with WIN500. I got WIN500 and programmed my scanner with what I wanted. The best way to learn is to do it your self or at least give it a shot and if you run into troubles there is always help here on RR.

That's why I figured having the free programming for one county was a good start I am going to buy the software also so I can add and update as I get into this hobby I am so excited I cannot wait for FED EX to hurry it up and get it here!

bama9999

I am still working on getting this. I am wanting to see how many others like this unit. Pros and Cons??

I have the Pro 106, which is the same radio with a Radio Shack label on it. I absolutely love it. I've had several scanners over the years, and this one is by far my favorite. I've used both the Win500 and the PSREDIT programming software, and both are easy and a joy to use. Both have the free 30 day trial, so you can try both to see which you like the Best. There's another program, Arc500, that I'm not as familiar with that you can also download and try.

I feel confident that you'll love your new PSR-500 when you get it.

tgbrengel

Premium Subscriber
Great scanner. It's held up great over the past year and a half. I've dropped it a few times and it still works great. I sent it in for service once (the RX board went out) and GRE support was fantastic.

I'd suggest PSREdit to program the radio. I like this software the best.

Nasby

PSR 500 is an awesome scanner. I live in Ohio and use it to monitor Ohio MARCS and the Summit County digital system. It picks them up flawlessly!
Acuser47, what part of Ohio are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.