• GRE PSR-500

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • PRO-106

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsvm2005

I am looking to get a digital police scanner but cant decide to either go with the gre psr-500 or the pro-106. I know that basically they are the same thing meaning you know what i mean. But if you were to recommend one to someone which one would you go with and why. I was trying to explain to my with about them that its the same thing but she said to go with the pro-106 just because of the brand and its more known that the other one, but that's her.

Maybe i am missing something that one has that the other doesnt have but if someone could guide me and explain why you will choose that particular brand.

Thank you very much.

one other thing i hear from it is that the audio is better on the pro-106 and its louder is that true?

Last edited:

Drafin

I went PSR-500 only because it included the programming cable and wall power supply.

When you buy those things separately it ends being a lot more money at Radio Shack if you don;t catch the Pro 106 on sale.

Draf

dsvm2005

So with the psr-500 comes the programming cable and the wall power supply? Is not something that will need to be purchase separate like the pro-106? But sensually its the same thing right?

Can you provide me the website were i could purchase it at. Please

Drafin

Right.

If you buy the PSR-500 then it will have the programming cable and power supply.

They are not included with the Pro-106.

Check Radio Shack though. I read on here somewhere that the Pro-106 is on sale. You may be able to pick up the scanner, the cable and the power supply at your local Shack and it be cheaper.

As for purchasing the banner at the top of the page here for Scanner Master is where I got mine. I have ordered from them many times and only my very last order was any problem. (They shipped me the wrong case and I'm trying to get it straightened out with them now)

Draf

dsvm2005

well right now the pro-106 is on sale on the web but not at the store I called them and they werent able to do anything about it. its a web special price. i have seen some on ebay for the psr-500 you thin i sould go trough there if i decide for the psr-500?

one other thing i hear from it is that the audio is better on the pro-106 and its louder is that true?

was reading about the upgradeable firmware what is that for and why would there any upgrade and its that free.

thank you

Last edited:

rilke67

Premium Subscriber
the 106 and the 500 have the same guts. The skin is the only difference. GRE makes RS 106

hoser147

I believe the difference in the layout of the speaker and front of the scanner, just depends on how you like it...Also it seems like GRE comes out with more updates more frequently.

kcoleman

One other item to note here... GRE has better customer support. When firmware upgrades have been released in the past, those that own the 500's were able to get the new upgrade right away. Those with the RS branded units waited several weeks before they got the release and if you dare read back through some of the threads pertaining to this you'll find many lamenting over this fact.

Good Luck,
Keith

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Same radio with exception of cosmetic and speaker vs. display location. If you want the adapter, programming cable, and demo software, then look for the PSR500, otherwise your going to pay extra for the mentioned accessories. Both are manufactured by GRE.

SquierStrat

the psr500 comes with more accessories, MUCH better customer service, and its cheaper! (when both scanners are at their regular, non-sale price)
the pro 106 for $400? i would much rather pay an extra $30 for the accessories and customer service

Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I have both of the scanners and would recommend the 500 for the reasons that everyone has mentioned

The power cable, the programming cable, and the customer support.

N8IAA

I got my 106 in November of 2008 when it was on sale and I had the F&F coupon. Got the wallwart on the coupon too. Already had the programming cable from when I purchased a 163 in June of that year. Waited the year between when the 500 came out. I like the layout on the scanner better than GRE version. Use the 106 daily for digital, analog, and conventional. It will be my main scanner until GRE, or, Uniden come out with something for all the newer digital modes. I know it will be years:)) Maybe I'll have to get a second one!
Larry

dsvm2005

I want to Thank everyone on the input and recommendations. I did decided to go with the GRE PSR-500 instead of the PRO-106. I bought it from EBAY at 416 with free shipping. It was a better deal than the PRO-106 scanner since the GRE PSR-500 comes with the accessories and it was also cheaper than the PRO-106 by $15.00 dollars. I could use that money for part of the software to program the scanner. I haven't even looked into that will need to do more research. Anyways again thank you very much and you guys have been a great help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.