GRE PSR-500 vs Uniden Bearcat BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is seriuosly better? Both sound like great scanners. Will any of them pick up the London Ontario Police department? Any feed back would be helpful.
I want to purchase a new scanner, but have not used a digital scanner as of yet.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
It all Depends on Your preference, Both Scanners are great in their own right, it;s kind of like who likes pistachio vs chocolate ice cream really.

I have had a 396 it is much smaller, I love the blue screen, the speaker seems to have more base to me.
The PSR-500 does an awesome job on digital, and has a lot of nice features.

Read the WIKI pages, look at all the features and compare what you need vs what you do not.

If You are going to listen to motorola digital i would go PSR-500

hypersight

Which one is seriuosly better? Both sound like great scanners. Will any of them pick up the London Ontario Police department? Any feed back would be helpful.
I want to purchase a new scanner, but have not used a digital scanner as of yet.

The PSR500 beats the 396 by a long shot in my opinion. I owned the uniden and now I own the GRE, so I know.
The 396 suffers from hearing impairment (not very sensitive) and the digital decoding is not that great no matter how much you tweak it. Those are the 2 main reasons why I returned it within days of receiving it.
I couldn't be any happier with my GRE. Great sensitivty and great digital audio. Although it can be a bit too sensitive at times when driving in areas saturated with 800 MHz transmitters, but I find the ATT button is your best friend in these cases. I have no regrets in buying the PSR500.

As to London Police, they are unscanable (AEGIS) except for a few anolog channels.

BuiltonAsus

Now, without getting this thread too off topic, how does the recent firmware update for the BCD396T help with digital decoding? Does it significantly improve the reception and decoding?

SCPD

QRT
Now, without getting this thread too off topic, how does the recent firmware update for the BCD396T help with digital decoding? Does it significantly improve the reception and decoding?
The latest 396 firmware helped, still not as good as the GRE

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I live in london ontario, is there anywhere local to purchase or do i have to to go the u.s.? I have searched high and low on the net and called a few places locally. nothing comes up yet. thanks guys

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Negative on London Police. They use AEGIS digital along with encryption. I too am looking at buying a 500 very shortly. Right now, I'm leaning towards purchasing from http://www.theradiocompany.com. The owner of this company hangs out on here and has been very helpful and courteous to potential buyers, even going as far as offering a discount to RR members (take a look in the GRE forum for a thread on this).

Status
Not open for further replies.