Gre Psr-500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine

I’ve been using my new GRE PSR-500 for a couple of month’s now and there’s a couple of differences I’ve noticed in the performance between the Radio Shack Pro-96 and the GRE PSR-500. I’ve notice that when driving around Clermont County, OH and monitoring the Clermont County, OH
Digital TRS, I’ve notice that my PSR-500 has a tendency to garble up every now and then wear, as
the Pro-96 does not.

However, from inside an apartment in Clermont County, OH my GRE PSR-500 will receive radio traffic on the Hamilton County, OH TRS (not good enough to reliably track the system) wear as my Pro-96 cannot even receive the control channel.

Does anyone have any Idea’s of what might be causing the PSR-500 to garble up every now and then on the Clermont County, OH TRS?.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the scanner, maybe It’s just some setting, I’m using the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna on both scanner’s.

hoser147

When it starts doing that hit func att and it will turn the attenuator on, a G should appear by by the S in the top row. This is the Global Att. You should be able to pick up several posts with it on. Mine usually starts doing it as soon as I start to do something or go to bed.lol I will usually wait a bit and turn it back off for max range. Here is a decent read from the GRE knowledge base Getting the most out of Multisite good luck and good scannin Hoser

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The PSR-500 is a more sensitive scanner - which is why you are able to hear signals on the PSR-500 that you do not hear on the PRO-96.

A thought....

Because the PSR-500 is more sensitive, it is also more prone to intermod / signal overload. It could be that on certain Clermont voice frequencies the PSR-500 may be getting some interference from some external source, experiencing some intermod or strong signal overload. Strong signal overload may cause it to 'not' hear some things as well as others because the strong signal desensitizes the receiver. Strong signals on 800 mhz on other frequencies may be mixing and some culprit noise on one o the Clermont freqs.

IF you have a very good (full scale) signal on the Clermont system, try turning the attenuator on for that TSYS object specifically. OF course, first I would tune to the currently active control channel of the Clermont system and then hit ATT and see if you can still get a decent signal on it.

Also, program the Clermont frequencies in manually and listen to them all with ATT OFF and the squelch off. Then see if you can hear anything "strange" on the Clermont frequencies or see a signal on the _nonactive_ Clermont freqs.

If you do see signal present or hear any abnormal noise on the _nonactive_ Clermont voice frequencies, then the PSR is getting interference that is mixing with an active signal during a conversation on teh TRS and the interference is causing problems in the decode.

When I'm in our county seat (high RF saturation) I have a lot of desense on my PSR-500 and often have to turn the attenuator on. ANd I've often seen voice channels on the Ohio MARCS digital system have noise on them that caused an otherwise acceptable MARCS signal to not decode well when a conversation was happening.

Mike

mikey60

When it starts doing that hit func att and it will turn the attenuator on, a G should appear by by the S in the top row. This is the Global Att. You should be able to pick up several posts with it on. Mine usually starts doing it as soon as I start to do something or go to bed.lol I will usually wait a bit and turn it back off for max range. Here is a decent read from the GRE knowledge base Getting the most out of Multisite good luck and good scannin Hoser

Actually, pressing the ATT button will show an A on the display. If the scanner is in Global attenuation mode (i.e. the G is visible at the top of the display), when you press the ATT button it will attenuate all channels and systems globally.

To turn the Global Attenuation mode on or off, press the FUNC key, followed by the ATT key.

Note that the only time a signal is actually attenuated, is if the A icon is present. The G icon only shows that you are in Global mode. It does not indicate that attenuation is on.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.