GRE PSR-600 vs. Radio Shack PRO-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2gql

Premium Subscriber
One simple question: are these the same radio? They sure do look the same; and the specs look the same.

I'm getting ready to buy a new scanner for mobile use, and I already have a PSR-600 at my house. The PRO-197 is now about $60 cheaper at Scannermaster. So, is there any real advantage to sticking with the 600 (other than Radio Shack's horrible customer support)?

K9WG

There is a difference in firmware (GRE and RS will not work in each other). Operationaly I think the firmware is the same. Also with the RS you have to buy the USB programming cable, the GRE includes it.

n2gql

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

You guys have largely confirmed what I have been thinking. I think I'll be sticking with the PSR-600.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You can also buy a GRE USB cable for $40 from scanner master as well..

so if the 197 is $60 less then the psr-600 then your still getting a deal. If the 197 is $20 less then its not a deal go with the 600.

The 197 comes with a printed manual, the 600 does not.

The base units are identical in size shape, its the handhelds that differ in the outter case (speaker location etc). If your looking at the base go for the better deal and purchase a USB cable if you dont have one from a pro-96 etc already (assuming its the USB cable with the removable adapter - normally the orange usb one)

n5ims

Also with the RS you have to buy the USB programming cable, the GRE includes it.

Also could be read GRE forces you to buy one with each radio while RS makes it optional. Just how many programming cables do you really need since the cable isn't specific to the radio, but works across the GRE (and their RS counterpart) line?

KE4RWS

2nd cable needed or not???

Also could be read GRE forces you to buy one with each radio while RS makes it optional. Just how many programming cables do you really need since the cable isn't specific to the radio, but works across the GRE (and their RS counterpart) line?

It really depends how you intend to use the scanner(s) though. For instance, if you only use the cable to program your PSR-600/Pro-197 then one cable is all you may actually need. However, if you want to control and/or stream your scanners then you will in fact need a cable for each scanner you are using. I frequently use the remote control feature in Win500 as well as occasionally stream traffic to my Android phone, so I require a cable for each and every scanner (I own two).

At the time I was looking to purchase my scanner Radio Shack was selling the Pro-197 for $500 plus the cost of the cable, which at the time was $35 plus tax for both items at my local shack store. This brought the grand total including tax (for me) to a whopping $569.55 as opposed to only $445 (shipping included) for a PSR-600 via a reputable Ebay seller I've done business with many times before. Personally I didn't really care which one I ended up buying since they are truly identical except for the firmware downloads and some of the screen printing and rear label, but given the PSR-600 offered the programming cable in the box this made the 600 the far less expensive choice for me. Heck, even if the 600 didn't include the cable it was still far cheaper to go with the GRE and just buy the cable separately. It wasn't until after I purchased the first PSR-600 and began using it that I realized how critically important it was for each scanner to have their own cable. From my experience I have found the PSR-600 typically sells for less money than the Pro-197, at least for brand new units, barring special deals, close-outs, etc. And since the 600 automatically includes the cable it was a no-brainer for me.

Having said that, it's clear some people will not use their scanner in this manner, therefore they won't need more than one cable. However, if you do utilize these features then you will in fact require a cable for each and every scanner you operate. But if you buy a used Pro-197 it could feasibly be cheaper to buy and then purchase a separate cable, if needed. But this is something for people to think about nonetheless depending on how they use their scanners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.