GRE PSR 800 DPL Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsmith456z

Premium Subscriber
I'm using PSR 800 w/EZ scan software and I'm updating a new frequency for Dekalb County. Per RR the frequecy is using 115 DPL tone. How would i import this setting? Using EZ scan software, DPL squelch tone is not an option. Should i have this setting set to "Search"?

thanks

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
When adding a conventional frequency via EZSCAN, you want to look at the "Squelch" field.

DCS = DPL. So select DCS as the Squelch Mode, and 115 as the Squelch Value.

CTCSS = PL

Mike

lsmith456z

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike, you guys rock... Quick question. If the squelch tone is not set correctly, would i not receive transmissions?

thanks

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Mike, you guys rock... Quick question. If the squelch tone is not set correctly, would i not receive transmissions?

thanks

You're welcome.

You are correct. If the squelch tone is not set correct, you won't receive the transmissions.

If in doubt, set it the Squelch Mode to "Search". Then, when you do hear traffic on that frequency, look at your scanner and see what CTCSS/PL or DCS/DPL is being displayed. Once you know it for sure, you can go back into EZScan and set it to the appropriate Squelch Mode and Value.

Mike

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
You are correct. If the squelch tone is not set correct, you won't receive the transmissions.

Sorry to but in but I believe you are mistaken on that point. You will hear the station without the tone set, BUT you are also more likely to hear the station when it is transmits spuriously because of inter-modulation from nearby strong transmitters. It is generally good practice to set the tone for receive when the transmitter is using one because you will have fewer false hits and and pauses. But you will hear it without the tone set.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I'm always happy to learn something new.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just to add to my previous post:

1. If you know for fact that the agency you are programming in does not use a tone [which is common with a lot of paging frequencies for Fire/EMS], then set Squelch Mode to "None". Although "Search" will work, it'd be more efficient if it were just set to "None"

2. If you know the agency is transmitting a tone but you don't know if it's DCS/DPL or CTCSS/PL or a P25 signal with a NAC, set Squelch Mode to "Search" so that it will display it for you in the scanner and you can make appropriate changes.

3. If you know the agency is transmitting specifically CTCSS/PL ( or DCS/DPL or is a P25 signal with a NAC ), but you aren't sure what the exact tone / NAC value is, then set the Squelch Mode to CTCSS (or DCS or NAC) depending upon what you know and then checkmark "Search for Value"

I rarely use #3. Usually I either know the agency isn't transmitting a tone or I don't know if they are transmitting a tone and I want to know if it's CTCSS/DCS and it's value and thus set Squelch Mode to "Search"

The more you know, the more efficiently it scans though if you set it properly.

Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DCS tone

You should be able to receive the signal without entering any tone. The only disadvantage to this is that atmospheric conditions may allow a transmission from a distant area to be heard. The purpose of DCS or CCTS is to prevent transmissions from other sources on the frequency being monitored from being heard.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Sorry to but in but I believe you are mistaken on that point. You will hear the station without the tone set, BUT you are also more likely to hear the station when it is transmits spuriously because of inter-modulation from nearby strong transmitters. It is generally good practice to set the tone for receive when the transmitter is using one because you will have fewer false hits and and pauses. But you will hear it without the tone set.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I'm always happy to learn something new.

If the squelch tone is set [but is not set correctly for the agency you are trying to monitor], then you won't hear any of that agency's transmissions.

You are correct that without the tone being set, you'll hear the agency but are also likely to hear other agencies on the frequency and possibly get some interference from transmitters on nearby frequencies. However, if the tone is set but is not set to the correct value, you aren't going to hear the agency at all.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.