GRE PSR-800 Post Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The radios are starting to trickle in to the folks who pre-ordered.

Let's continue the post release discussion here.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
My first issue

Thats to the person that just emailed me and to ALL scanner must be OFF.
It works great.

My minor issue is two dif pc two dif operating systems can NOT access micro sd card while INSIDE scanner.

I know card is fine I have made scanlist and hear them fine.

My scanner drive shows up as E drive thats a OK put when I go click on drive e I get "please insert a disk into drive e".

So I took micro sd card out of scanner and into ext card reader no issues I can see all the folders read and write to it.

The radios are starting to trickle in to the folks who pre-ordered.

Let's continue the post release discussion here.

Last edited:

DonS

My minor issue is two dif pc two dif operating systems can NOT access micro sd card while INSIDE scanner.

I know card is fine I have made scanlist and hear them fine.

My scanner drive shows up as E drive thats a OK put when I go click on drive e I get "please insert a disk into drive e".

So I took micro sd card out of scanner and into ext card reader no issues I can see all the folders read and write to it.

Turn the scanner "off" (so it's showing the large-numeral clock display).

You can't have two different devices (scanner and PC) accessing the same storage media at the same time - unless you want file system corruptions.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
800 is here

... scanner master just got the 800 in at 12:30 today and I got the first one... get um while they last...

mancow

Database Admin
So far it seems the vocoder is on par with motorola. It really digs in and will provide a growling rough voice like an xts does in a bad sig environment instead of going r2d2.

DonS

The PSR-800 doesn't "care about" number of talkgroups. I believe it's been tested on Michigan's MPSCS, with all sites and talkgroups programmed, as well as ~1500 RadioIDs.

I've been running it for months on a local Mot3600 system which, while it only has ~50 talkgroups, has all ~65000 possible RadioIDs programmed (of course, only a small fraction of those are actually used - but I've got them all programmed).

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-800 doesn't "care about" number of talkgroups. I believe it's been tested on Michigan's MPSCS, with all sites and talkgroups programmed, as well as ~1500 RadioIDs.

I've been running it for months on a local Mot3600 system which, while it only has ~50 talkgroups, has all ~65000 possible RadioIDs programmed (of course, only a small fraction of those are actually used - but I've got them all programmed).

well this just turned into a buy for me. it will be great for me when i go to East TN on 40 (on the TVRCS) or a state with a huge system like SC or Michigan. aslo it will serve me well when the the statewide TRS comes up my way here in TN

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Does the PSR800 come with the rr.com database loaded already to turn on and select or does it have to be loaded first from the software...Thank You

DonS

Does the PSR800 come with the rr.com database loaded already to turn on and select or does it have to be loaded first from the software...Thank You

It should be loaded and ready to go. However, depending on when the scanner was built (and its card loaded), the included RR DB could be out of date for your area. It would be best to install the included software, download the latest RR DB, and send it to the scanner.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The database on mine was at 50 as I recall, it's now at 66.

MPSCS is crystal clear here, the audio from the speaker is room-filling at the default 15 setting and headphones are loud and clear. The speaker does not sound tinny or distorted at all. Signal reception is solid on 800MHz looks to be equal on VHF and UHF signals with no hint of intermod.

The display is clear and easy to read. I'm running off Alkaline batteries to see how long they last with heavy usage. I've got most of the display option including the backlight and keypad lights, alerts, and LED flash turned on as well. So far after three solid hours of use with multiple scan lists, I've lost about 1/8" of the battery gauge on the display.

If I was to change anything, I would add keypad for user input.

mancow

Database Admin
The audio recording function is excellent. I can't wait to try out the disc tap functions too.

I have been running mine all day and only lost one small fraction of battery.

Simulcast reception seems to work very well but I will know more when I get a chance to do some more testing. It was laying in the seat of the car on the way through KC and JoCo KS today and worked excellent with the stock antenna. I would say it was better than the PRO-106 but a bit more comparison will need to be done. I noticed very little digital garble if any at all.

GRE's audio has always been good but there they are the runaway winner when it comes to digital audio quality. There is definitely no debate about that now.

I agree that it needs a keypad and a tune button. With that it would be 100% perfect.

DonS

The display is clear and easy to read. I'm running off Alkaline batteries to see how long they last with heavy usage. I've got most of the display option including the backlight and keypad lights, alerts, and LED flash turned on as well. So far after three solid hours of use with multiple scan lists, I've lost about 1/8" of the battery gauge on the display.

Have you adjusted the "LiteLevel" setting? You may want to, to see maximum battery life even with the various lights turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.